News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Base or no Base?

Started by Lynx, January 09, 2022, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Let's put a fictional scenario up for you all:

Imagine PNSO has just released a new figure: The velociraptor. It is some of the best we have seen so far from them, but there are two options. You can buy one with a permanent base, or one with no base at all.
The price is the same, though there is a high-quality base to go with one. The first figure, without a base, is more up to the 1:35-1:40 scale (so it scales up better with most collections), while the one with a base is around the 1:16-1:6 scale. Both can stand perfectly fine, but which are you 'buying'? Base or no base?

I'd personally choose no base due to shelf space, but I'm curious as to which you all would prefer.
(Please note the example here is an imaginary scenario, there is no Velociraptor from PNSO confirmed as far as we know.)
An oversized house cat.

Duna

That's a very easy answer for me, as I hate fixed bases, and the figure stands perfectly without it, I'd prefer the version with no base. I like to handle my figures a lot and look from all sides, so I prefer them to be "free". I do have some small figures with fixed bases like some of the vintage Starlux, and the only reason is because I'm a completionist and so I had to get them to finish the collection.
But for example if I am to choose between for example, the Collecta carnotaurus with its fixed base and the Safari carnotaurus (there are more reasons but) I'll go happily with the Safari.

Talking about movable bases, I don't mind, but I prefer if the figures don't have them because they cover so much light from the shelves below (I display in glass cabinets with led lights) and they take a lot of space. But I admit that some bases are very nice (specially elaborate and natural looking ones) for displaying figures on their own.
I prefer them over the plastic rods.

Grimbeard

In this specific case, i would got for baseless one just because of the scale, especially if its a velociraptor which are never made in this scale range.

In a general sense, I prefer baseless models, especially if the base is rather plain looking.

However, I prefer well done bases over either clownfeet, bad tripod stance (good stance like the Safari Ltd Coelophysis are fine though), rods or just very unstable stances.

I also like the approach WildPast does with its Majungasaurus (little "mini" bases on each foot).

stargatedalek

I'd buy the based one because that scale is my preference and then cut it free from the base. I've had my fill of bases with bird figures, that until the 2010's were barely available without bases.

BlueKrono

If the price were the same? Sure, why not. But I prefer the look of no base much better, and being able to choose the option of having no base included almost invariably saves go money. I recently bought the Prehistorix Dunkleosteus for $90. The water base cost $80 additional, nearly doubling the price, but the gentleman offered to sell me just the fish.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Skorpio V.

In this situation, my choices wouldn't revolve around whether or not it has a base at all.

Deciding whether or not I would want one with or without the base would be based on (no pun intended) the sizes of the feet relative to the body.

The size difference and price similarity would be the determining factors here. The 1:6-1:16 scale Velociraptor is THE SAME PRICE AS the 1:35-1:40 scale Velociraptor. That would mean, on average, the 16 cm long Velociraptor would be the same price as the 5 cm long Velociraptor. That's a pretty big difference for a Velociraptor. If it's a low cost, like $1, that's a steal for the larger one. If it's a high cost like $50, you're getting more your money's worth with the larger one.

You could do this with any dinosaur really, but Velociraptor works especially well because a 1:6-1:16 Velociraptor could still fit into a shelf unlike a 1:6-1:16 Sauroposeidon for example.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Shonisaurus

If the price is the same without hesitation I prefer the model with a permanent base, for me as they say metaphorically it has no color. I like models of dinosaurs and especially theropods with permanent bases, and I would add without jointed jaws, with lips and with muted, highly conservative paint colors, but at the same time attractive and realistic and with the least possible type of seams for the dinosaur ( I know that unfortunately the seams in toy dinosaurs are almost inevitable, it is very difficult for any figure to lack seams).

Getting to the point, I like dinosaurs and bipedal prehistoric animals with sustainability problems with permanent bases and if they can be artistic.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It would make more sense for the smaller figure to be the one with a base, and the larger without as that's more likely to stand up anyway. I would go for the smaller one just because either a nice scale and I already have the 1:9 scale Safari Ltd Velociraptor anyway.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Lynx

Just for the sake of fun, I suppose.

I might go for the larger one, looking back now, as I could use it as a shelf centerpiece once I get more room.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

I'm pretty happy with the Safari Velociraptor, so I'd be more interested in the smaller one (though at 1:35 it would be truly minuscule!), and whether it had a base or not wouldn't even factor into it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Psittacoraptor

Give me the 1:6 one with the base, it will make a nice companion for my BOTM 1:6 Velociraptor. And now I'm disappointed that this figure will likely never exist  :'(

Also, 1:35 would be so small that they would have trouble manufacturing it.

Sim

If this question is supposed to be about whether people prefer a permanent base or no base at all, then it ignores that removable bases are possible, and there's no logical reason to make the figures different sizes.  I will answer though that I have no interest in figures with a permanent base, and I'd be interested in a Velociraptor in both a small and large size.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 11, 2022, 09:22:24 PM
Also, 1:35 would be so small that they would have trouble manufacturing it.

It would be pretty tiny but I think it could be made (I don't think it WILL be, but it COULD be). I think the Safari Good Luck Mini Velociraptor is pretty close to 1:35, although sadly un-feathered. And Favorite made this tiny Deinonychus at 1:45:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

I pretty much never buy figures with bases. If a dinosaur won't stand up well, I just lean it on another figure or against the side of the bookshelf. I think the last few years worth of bipedal figures have proven if done correctly, there's no need for bases and clown feet, and only the occasional cleverly done, naturally looking tripod stance.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 12, 2022, 06:18:51 AM
It would be pretty tiny but I think it could be made (I don't think it WILL be, but it COULD be). I think the Safari Good Luck Mini Velociraptor is pretty close to 1:35, although sadly un-feathered. And Favorite made this tiny Deinonychus at 1:45:

I stand corrected, that is impressively small! I don't envy the worker who had to paint it. I don't think PNSO would make something like this, miniatures this small seem more in-line with what Japanese manufacturers like Kaiyodo or Favorite make. Case in point, your example.

Lynx

I am aware it is extremely small, though that was not exactly the intent of the question.
Here, let's say the dinosaur was not at the exact same price, though had the same sculpt and both fairly good quality. The small one would instead be around 1:25 for mass production quality instead of 1:35-1:40. Is this better, now?
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

Still not sure why you're introducing variables other than base/no base into the question if what you're curious about is how people feel about bases. Asking people to make decisions about figure scale and price in addition to the base is going to confound your results, since everyone weighs those factors differently when making decisions.

The hypothetical figures should be the same scale, price, and quality, with the pros and cons related to whether they have a base or not. So the figure with the base is more stable, but the base takes up extra shelf space or isn't aesthetically very attractive or it gets in the way of creating dioramas with the figure. And the baseless figure has all the usual drawbacks of baseless figures -- it tips over all the time, or the manufacturer had to put in it in a tripod pose or give it bigger feet to make it stand.

You don't even really need a hypothetical set of figures to ask this question, though, since the DTF has been debating these issues since time immemorial ;D I'm in the base camp, for the record, since my figures just sit on shelves and all I ask of them is to stand there without falling over.

Check out my customs thread!

Lynx

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 12, 2022, 04:02:38 PM
Still not sure why you're introducing variables other than base/no base into the question if what you're curious about is how people feel about bases. Asking people to make decisions about figure scale and price in addition to the base is going to confound your results, since everyone weighs those factors differently when making decisions.

The hypothetical figures should be the same scale, price, and quality, with the pros and cons related to whether they have a base or not. So the figure with the base is more stable, but the base takes up extra shelf space or isn't aesthetically very attractive or it gets in the way of creating dioramas with the figure. And the baseless figure has all the usual drawbacks of baseless figures -- it tips over all the time, or the manufacturer had to put in it in a tripod pose or give it bigger feet to make it stand.

You don't even really need a hypothetical set of figures to ask this question, though, since the DTF has been debating these issues since time immemorial ;D I'm in the base camp, for the record, since my figures just sit on shelves and all I ask of them is to stand there without falling over.

On a separate discord server, I have tried asking this same question and people said they needed "specifics" like scale and price.
So I assumed that here would require the same as the question would need to be more complicated as there were "different factors that debated if I wanted base or no base". Sorry.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

I agree with avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren, if you distinguish figures with qualities other than having a base or not having one, your results will be confounded.

Mellow Stego

I think for a lot of people size, and price, tends to be more of a deciding factor than whether it comes with a base or not.
So I'm gonna answer the question as if the two models were the same size and price. Just comes down to one has a inseparable base and one does not.

For me, it comes down to the posture of the figure. If it looks more at home on the base I'd probably go for it. 
Let's take Pnso's Andrea for an example. If given the same opportunity with that figure, I would easily choose to go with a base.

Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: