News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gwangi's Collection (Updated 2/9)

Started by Gwangi, January 11, 2022, 05:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Couldn't have said it better avatar_Grimbeard @Grimbeard. In the case of Safari's though, I like the beefy build just because is a change of pace from the more traditional appearance. It adds some diversity in that way. That said, Carnegie's nails the look for me.

I don't mind the tripod pose for some figures avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, it just seemed like Carnegie was starting to rely on it a bit too much. It does mean no clown feet, but I've always thought that the feet on Carnegie toys look too bony, not well padded enough to support the animal.

Gwangi

Looking at Ankylosaurus today. Carnegie, Favorite, and PNSO with vintage toys by Inpro and Marx in the front. Not pictured are the toys I have from Mattel, plus the original Favorite and Papo since I posted them with Euoplocephalus.

PNSO's Ankylosaurus is probably the definitive representative of the genus for me. Still, I'm really tempted to get Safari's Ankylosaurus, and since it's reconstructed differently I still may. It seems like whenever a line includes Ankylosaurus it becomes one of my favorite figures in that line. It's true for all of these, even Inpro. I've always appreciated the detailed armor on both the Marx and Inpro toys, it's better than it needed to be on both of them.

I should pack away the Carnegie and Favorite Ankylosaurus but I can't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I cave in and get Safari's I'll "retire" them but for the moment they're all displayed in my cabinet. I have an affinity for toy ankylosaurs and I'm not entirely sure why.

Fembrogon

Sometimes I think we develop affinity for certain things without any concrete reason; we're just wired in a way that makes us say, "I like [this]", and we might never find a specific rationale to explain it.

Ankylosaurs can definitely be cool; I think you may be on to something about how this genus - and maybe armored dinos in general - often turn out really well when a company releases one.

Halichoeres

I also really like ankylosaurs and part of it is just that they're so utterly unlike anything alive now. And I actually think they are usually made poorly, but when companies do put some research and effort into them the results can be stunning.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.