News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari vs PNSO: Triceratops

Started by Lynx, January 31, 2022, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I am aware that these types of threads may be getting abundant, but I've finally gotten enough in savings to either buy the PNSO Triceratops or the Safari version. Although the newer PNSO Triceratops bothered me a lot, it's starting to grow on me to the point where I'm considering it. I do not really care for which has better detail due to PNSO quite obviously taking the lead in that factor, nor do I care about the price.
So, which figure would be more worth it to buy? I would like to hear all of your opinions on it  :D
An oversized house cat.

Duna

The price I think here is the most important factor. I'll go with the PNSO version, it makes the Safari look a bit down in comparison (I have and I like it a lot, however). The skin and feet are much better executed in the PNSO and the overall aspect.
But I like much more the Safari sculpt in all ways. If only it had the detail in the skin and feet the PNSO has, it would be perfect for me. Both of them are really great figures.

stargatedalek

Safari's has more believable jaw/mouth tissues, but the PNSO has a much better texture for the head overall, not in terms of detail, but in terms of structures represented. Ultimately those are the main distinctions between them.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The new Wild Safari triceratops is the definitive model for me. Doug Watson always does his homework when sculpting for them. The skull is also based on a more classic-looking specimen.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Patrx

For me, the main difference between the two is that PNSO's is very specifically based on an individual specimen that might not even be Triceratops at all, and Safari's is, yeah, a more classic T. horridus. As a big Triceratops fan, I'm glad to have both, but if you just want a good, baseline Triceratops, maybe the more traditional Safari piece is the way to go.

SidB

Quote from: Patrx on January 31, 2022, 06:46:31 PMFor me, the main difference between the two is that PNSO's is very specifically based on an individual specimen that might not even be Triceratops at all, and Safari's is, yeah, a more classic T. horridus. As a big Triceratops fan, I'm glad to have both, but if you just want a good, baseline Triceratops, maybe the more traditional Safari piece is the way to go.
I also have both, plus Doyle 1 too, as well as the unique Eofauna ones. The Safari is a safe bet, and a great value. Yes, the PNSO one is probably a Triceratops, but possibly not, and the Eofaunas are depictions of Yoshi's trike, which may end up being a new species. My suggestion is to go with the Safari and use the money saved for later.

Skorpio V.

PNSO's is about triple what I got my Safari Trike for originally ($60 vs $20). They're honestly rather on-par, so if you're paying those extremities, definitely go for Safari's. If price doesn't really matter, go for PNSO's. AMNH 5116 is one of my favourite specimens period, so that's another personal preference. There's a definite quality gap, but not enough for the triplication.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

CARN0TAURUS

When it was first announced I loved the new PNSO triceratops but then cooled on it enough to pass on it and it's not because of the $ it costs.  I don't want to go into the reasons here all over again because I've already articulated those points on the PNSO thread and I don't see the point of rehashing it all over.  One thread was enough if I do that on two threads it'll come across like I'm just trying to upset others that are happy with their doyles 2.0   

In 2021 I went from having 3 triceratops figures to keeping only one, the Safari was one I decided to part ways with. I just found myself just not being happy with the skin or the paint.  I loved pretty much everything else like the pose, the size, the proportions etc..., but the skin I just couldn't get over anymore. My son nabbed the Safari 2017 before I had a chance to sell it and I sold the Favorite 2013.  I just wasn't happy with those figures anymore and I'm perfectly happy with just having the Eofauna ATM.  I'm also confident that someone else will make another one in the next couple of years that I'll be satisfied with.  Lucky for us triceratops is one of those species that companies are going to keep on making new figures of, so I'm not worried about just having the one at this time.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 07:28:39 PM
When it was first announced I loved the new PNSO triceratops but then cooled on it enough to pass on it and it's not because of the $ it costs.  I don't want to go into the reasons here all over again because I've already articulated those points on the PNSO thread and I don't see the point of rehashing it all over.  One thread was enough if I do that on two threads it'll come across like I'm just trying to upset others that are happy with their doyles 2.0   

In 2021 I went from having 3 triceratops figures to keeping only one, the Safari was one I decided to part ways with. I just found myself just not being happy with the skin or the paint.  I loved pretty much everything else like the pose, the size, the proportions etc..., but the skin I just couldn't get over anymore. My son nabbed the Safari 2017 before I had a chance to sell it and I sold the Favorite 2013.  I just wasn't happy with those figures anymore and I'm perfectly happy with just having the Eofauna ATM.  I'm also confident that someone else will make another one in the next couple of years that I'll be satisfied with.  Lucky for us triceratops is one of those species that companies are going to keep on making new figures of, so I'm not worried about just having the one at this time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the safari model's skin directly based on the skin impressions from Lane? Is the issue that the scales are too big on the safari model?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on January 31, 2022, 07:35:52 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 07:28:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the safari model's skin directly based on the skin impressions from Lane? Is the issue that the scales are too big on the safari model?

Yes, I just felt like the scales were way out of scale.  I never said anything in regards to their accuracy which knowing Safari I'm certain that the research was spot on and based on findings.  The color, that was a whole other issue that over time I just started to not like the figure anymore.  Like I said proportions, size, pose, the head is really nice, it has a ton going for it, It was just a personal choice and I was okay moving on from it.

CARN0TAURUS

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 31, 2022, 07:23:43 PM
EoFauna

I already have had an EoFauna figure and was not very happy with it, so I am going to do quite a bit more research before considering that figure again.
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Lynx on January 31, 2022, 07:48:45 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 31, 2022, 07:23:43 PM
EoFauna

I already have had an EoFauna figure and was not very happy with it, so I am going to do quite a bit more research before considering that figure again.

At first I wasn't happy with mine either and it was only because of the blue legs and stuff, so I decided to not repaint it from scratch but simply use what was already there and see if I couldn't get more enjoyment out of this figure.  The blue legs had to go, I kept the brown there to carve out some stripes and am using an off white creamy color on his belly.  It's in the beginning stages ATM but I'm already enjoying it more than I did before :)

I'm not sure about the green, I used the contours that the factory people put on the orange and blue and I turned them into black outlines for the green.  I'm thinking the green might be too bright.  Just getting started, this figure has so much potential, someone with some skills and an airbrush could turn one of these into a masterpiece.  The only paintwork I like on the Eofaunas are the elephants and the georgeous Altasaurus, painting this is making me feel like messing with the Giga too, but I don't know, that's a $45 figure so I might just leave that one be.

Skorpio V.

The Lane scales were about fist-sized for the largest scales. Safari's scales are too big while PNSO leans toward the smaller end. Eofauna's seems to be a really nice middle ground.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.