You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A guide to new collectors (V.1) Do's and Don'ts

Started by Lynx, December 29, 2021, 09:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 23, 2022, 07:57:09 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 23, 2022, 03:59:32 PM
I regretted buying the Papo Baryonyx for this reason, although I think there's a limit to this logic. Baryonyx is one of the more famous dinosaurs, and has a built-in fan base in a wealthy, populous country because of its provenance. But it's been a solid decade since anybody has made a Nothosaurus, and before that it had been another decade. Schleich's Dinogorgon isn't perfect, but it's very unlikely anybody will ever make another. Yowie's Strepsodus from 2000 is still the only rhizodont of any kind that anybody has made, and nobody has made a new Sphenacodon since the 1960s. Personally, I'll buy a never-been-made taxon from any company specifically with the intent of rewarding them for taking the chance, but I no longer buy 2% improvements on popular animals, given the inevitability of a 4% improvement a year or three later.

I just want to make it clear avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres that although my advice might seem targeted at someone such as yourself, it is not. Your collecting strategy is unique, I get why you collect what you do and pass no judgement. Most collectors are far more casual and not out to get one of every prehistoric taxa ever made, and my advice is aimed more at them. And my advice is basically to just have patience. Obviously there are some exceptions. If you're really interested in Gorgonopsia specifically, then you should probably get the Schleich Dinogorgon. But if you're not, and don't actually like it, maybe give it a pass. I like prehistoric fish and collect them when I can but have no interest in the Yowie Strepsodus. If that means I'll never own a rhizodont then I can live with that.

No worries, I didn't perceive it as an attack, but I appreciate the clarification. I agree that your advice is good for anyone putting together a new collection of well-known dinosaurs. It's the reason I haven't bought a Parasaurolophus since the Battat reissue. I like the PNSO and Safari versions okay, but with how popular the genus is and how many companies there are that haven't made one, I think that by and by someone is bound to make one that I like even better.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx sorry to prolong this; I think a general guide for new collectors is a perfectly good idea and I hope some of the reactions haven't left you with too bad a taste in your mouth.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Crackington

I agree with avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, this thread is a great idea and will be very useful for new members, avatar_Lynx @Lynx. You did good.

Maybe it was a tad ambitious being a full on guide with separate sections planned? I'm just wondering if it it would worth re-purposing the thread to be about the kind of tips already given and encouraging members to share their ideas and collecting styles?

You could tweak the name to something like "New Collectors Do's, Don'ts and Other Tips" and then just keep it open for new posts? I have one or two tips for navigating the Forum itself which might help newbies...

stoneage

In response to Halichoeres there was a Sphenacodon made in 2001 by Kaiyodo Dinotales 2.  As far as collecting goes everyone does their own thing.  I think its good to figure out what specifically you want to collect.  This may change from time to time, there is no right or wrong.  It might be helpful though to know what mistakes others have made that may apply to you.  When I started collecting there wasn't the wide selection or quality of figures that we have today. I've seen where people display their figures in a pile on the floor. How do you find the figure you want, how do you get them for the cheapest price etc.? Some display their figures in boxes or have them in storage.
What is important is to learn the many way others do things to figure out what you want to do. 

Halichoeres

S @stoneage I think you mean Sphenodon, the modern tuatara. I mean Sphenacodon, the Permian synapsid.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stoneage

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.