You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Taxonomic Encyclopedia of Collectable Miniatures

Started by Avian, January 31, 2022, 02:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avian

Over the past 5 or so years, in my spare time, I have compiled a list of figures/models/replicas etc. for over 1,520 species. I estimate it to be around 40-50% complete? The identifications and species on many are questionable, as much of it was done focused on creating a complete list than being a fully accurate ID. Several details about each figure are implied through text style, coloration, etc., with a key at the top. The organization was not well thought out in hindsight, and I do not edit it any more. However, this may be a possible resource for some of you? Keep in mind that ID's and even the plausibility of obtaining some figures are questionable. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yCttb1IaBVKOlE4td3tkseix_eJyUni8EL4eCcBkI7I/edit?usp=sharing

I hope this may be of some value to interested collectors, and I have made it editable if anyone wishes to correct information for themselves or other's clarity.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Avian

Duna

Nimravus

Wow, thanks so much. That is a very valuable document, you have spent a lot of time in it! I also have a database of all the figures of my collection with images of the figure as it was issued by the Seller, and my own photos. My spreadsheet has only the figures I collected, I will or I would like to collect, and not as many as yours!

Avian

Thank you, I created it as a sort of "Encyclopedia of Figures". It is still highly incomplete, and it would be near impossible for anyone to make a fully accurate list on their own. Several people on the ATF are interested are participating, and if the DTF community wishes to join in I believe it could become an important community project of sorts.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If you don't mind suggestions, could you move Gastornis into Anseriforms as it isn't a Phorosrhacid.

I appreciate the huge amount of work this must have been.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Avian

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 31, 2022, 09:22:05 PM
If you don't mind suggestions, could you move Gastornis into Anseriforms as it isn't a Phorosrhacid.

I appreciate the huge amount of work this must have been.

Thank you for the suggestions! I know a lot of the species are placed into the wrong classification. Ill update it in my own personal document, where I am treating the one I have shared almost as a rough draft, for the sole purpose of revisions. The final version will be released in a week or so, after everyone is able to suggest changes they wish to see in format and whatnot. At that point, I will make it editable so that everyone in the community can collectively edit and update it as they wish, again as a community project.  :))

Halichoeres

This is a very ambitious project! I presume you're already familiar with https://dinotoycollector.com/

You might also find this thread useful, as I believe it includes every genus extinct before 1500 CE that has been made into a toy, although for the most part only one exemplar for each. https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

That's a mighty list.
Must have taken a lot of time to compile.

BlueKrono

I certainly think anyone interested in dinosaur toys would find a list like this valuable. However, it doesn't do to reinvent the wheel... a couple other folks have done similar projects. Halichoeres has his list of made species, and Joe DeMarco did the Dinosauriana project - a compilation of every prehistoric animal toy ever made. You can probably get it from him, or from Mike Fredericks of Prehistoric Times magazine. I know I've spent many an enjoyable hour perusing it. A true labor of love, much like yours.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stoneage

Interesting list.  There are some brands here that I am not familiar with.  But there are also a lot of brands here that I don't see.  Like Edaphosaurus which doesn't mention Bullyland or Starlux.

Avian

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 01, 2022, 06:38:28 PM
I certainly think anyone interested in dinosaur toys would find a list like this valuable. However, it doesn't do to reinvent the wheel... a couple other folks have done similar projects. Halichoeres has his list of made species, and Joe DeMarco did the Dinosauriana project - a compilation of every prehistoric animal toy ever made. You can probably get it from him, or from Mike Fredericks of Prehistoric Times magazine. I know I've spent many an enjoyable hour perusing it. A true labor of love, much like yours.

Its true that there are already a few lists out there, but none dedicated to all species extant and extinct, complete with all figures, and updatable by the community for the highest possible level of completeness. I hope you find this list an enjoyable "read" as well.

Quote from: stoneage on February 02, 2022, 01:29:27 AM
Interesting list.  There are some brands here that I am not familiar with.  But there are also a lot of brands here that I don't see.  Like Edaphosaurus which doesn't mention Bullyland or Starlux.

Im happy I could introduce you to some new brands  ^-^. There are plenty of brands/species/figures missing, as I created much of it as a personal wishlist. However, due to community support and feedback, I have began to rework much of the design and format on a separate document, where I will add all figures. Also, feel free to add any figures you might notice to be missing. I will hopefully come to add them in time, but an extra level of community participation would make this project truly special.

Avian

I have reworked the layout, and am revising the document as a whole. Here are a few screenshots of what the new layout will look like:

Any suggestions? The shown species are not complete at the moment, and in this case are merely for example.

BlueKrono

Going back to reinventing the wheel, have you ever explored this site? It's kind of like yours, with pictures. It could be a great (and free) resource for you as you build yours.
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Animalia
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Avian

Yes, I have explored the Wiki and it is a great site  ;D. I have been thinking and I will likely transfer my data over to it rather than building a completely new source, if I can figure out how to use its interface.

Halichoeres

Quote from: MammothProductions on February 09, 2022, 07:59:04 PM
Yes, I have explored the Wiki and it is a great site  ;D. I have been thinking and I will likely transfer my data over to it rather than building a completely new source, if I can figure out how to use its interface.

It's pretty easy! Unless something has changed since I added to it, you just have to email the admin to set up an editor account. There's some very minor coding involved; if you've figured out image posting on forums, editing the TAW won't be any more taxing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.