You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs at Roadside America Miniature Village

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, December 20, 2021, 02:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Roadside America Miniature village was an attraction in my area that has been around since the 1940's. It was an impressive layout, which depicted everyday American life, and was handcrafted with meticulous detail.

The backside of the big mountain in the picture had several caves that could be seen from the tunnel underneath, with rock formations made of plaster and carved from wood. Some had miniature tour groups visiting the caverns. One of them had a small prehistoric diorama in the back. It's a small detail, but I thought it's worth sharing given its age and history.

There are Marx figures in there as well as some others. All models in the exhibit would have been early 60's or earlier, as the layout has not been added to since then.

The layout also has a nice zoo populated with Britains animals:

Unfortunately, these are the best photos of the prehistoric scene I can get, as the layout sadly closed in 2020. Much of the scenery went up for auction, however none of the dinosaurs (and very few of the zoo animals) went up for sale, so I was unable to bid on them. It's a real shame that the layout closed, since it was not only incredibly well-crafted, but it was a great vision of American life as well.

More information about the layout can be found here for those interested:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2208

I have more pictures of the zoo I might get around to posting on the ATF as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

irimali

Wow!  Wish I could have seen it in person.  Thanks for sharing pics.  I've been thinking for a while now that it would be fun to do a miniature diorama on that scale, only with all prehistoric life.  If only I had the space and the funding :(

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.