News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eotriceratops the (nearly) forgotten giant

Started by andrewsaurus rex, May 23, 2021, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

i'm surprised by how little attention Eotriceratops gets.  Triceratops is probably the number one dinosaur in many people's mind,  yet Eo, which was quite a bit bigger, rarely gets even a mention.

As proof of this, search Ebay for Eotriceratops...zero hits.

When I first heard of Eo I was blown away.  Almost like Triceratops but bigger, with a nearly 10 foot skull!  WOW.  Yet I bet there are even a lot of dinosaur enthusiasts that have never heard of it.  What gives?

Dynomikegojira

From my understanding I think the claims of Eotriceratops being bigger are just estimates that could very well be true but just not really reported on. That being said I'm completely aware of this amazing animal while researching for my potiential WWD style documentary(I'm using figures instead of CGI) and I was shocked that this animal was that big but compared to Triceratops which is known from plenty of specimens, Eotriceratops is rare and not as much remains but that could if we find more specimens.

Stegotyranno420

True. But isn't like super dubious, like the titanovenator?

andrewsaurus rex

The illustration below shows, what I believe, are the known elements for Eo.  Considering the largest skull estimation for Triceratops is based solely on the tip of a beak, I think the known material for Eo isn't too bad and can certainly be used to give a decent estimate of the skull length, which is 9.8 feet iirc.  Extrapolating the overall length is certainly dodgier, but it often is with these critters but it's safe to say it was probably larger than the largest Triceratops yet discovered.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/153e5560-9571-4472-a936-a48d6c1800c6/daqt5gx-04f9789d-4c94-4b94-9207-4b9b7873da46.jpg/v1/fill/w_1181,h_676,q_70,strp/last_dawn_by_getawaytrike_daqt5gx-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzMzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTUzZTU1NjAtOTU3MS00NDcyLWE5MzYtYTQ4ZDZjMTgwMGM2XC9kYXF0NWd4LTA0Zjk3ODlkLTRjOTQtNGI5NC05MjA3LTRiOWI3ODczZGE0Ni5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.-dDzHNnsG9kUTgTbe0zOyNjP0WWoOc1xTvJ8x3-rOQA

austrosaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 23, 2021, 05:36:21 PM
True. But isn't like super dubious, like the titanovenator?

Not trying to derail the thread, but "Titanovenator" (which almost certainly won't get such a cliched official name) isn't dubious, just undescribed. IIRC at least one paper describing a new genus out of the Lapur Sandstone is meant to be coming this year.

Halichoeres

Vitae made a prototype several years ago, but it doesn't seem to have ever entered production.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Because there are barely any eotrike remains
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

dyno77

as a side note ,the largest triceratops skull is around the same size, but iv read reports of another 9ft skull stored away and unpublished..
size estimates are very difficult to guess ,but with a vast array of ceratopsians ,estimating eotriceratops should be easier than most dinosaurs...it was no doubt larger than the average triceratops...
Most of all are the large ceratopsian footprints reported years ago ,in fact its been so long since there have been any updates on these footprints,but they are of record size and belong to triceratops of enormous size ,1 expert guessed the weight as much as 2 elephants...but this was way over 12yrs ago and no updates...
This wasn't triceratops maximus either ,it was 2 large footprints and thats all...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.