News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GRASS in Hell Creek Formation?

Started by bearybones, April 12, 2022, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearybones

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.  I am in the process of building an ultra-realistic 24" X 36" Hell Creek Formation diorama.  I am confident that all of my current trees and other flora are appropriate, but I have read conflicting information on whether or not there was grass in Hell Creek 66 million years ago.  Every video I can find shows grassy fields, but at least one paleontologist says there was no grass in the Hell Creek Formation.  Another article indicated evidence of early grass.  I am considering adding some static grass areas to my diorama.  Was there grass in Hell Creek?  Opinions or informed comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, George AKA: bearybones

stargatedalek

Grasses, yes, but likely in the form of reeds and similar plants, not grassy fields.

indohyus

Grass as we would think of didn't exist in the Mesozoic. As avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek says, reeds and thick shoots more. Ferns and the like are better. Might be worth researching the plants that have been found to get an idea of what to use.

Lanthanotus

I highly recommend the book Saurian - a Field Guide to Hell Creek . It is an easy read and richly outfitted with great paleo art and is a most complete guide to fauna and flora. It is especially dedicated to Bone Butte, a very specific location within Hell Creek, but the vast array of images and maps gives a very authentic and rich insight into the ecosystem.

Faelrin

+1 to the Saurian Field Guide. Very much worth a read, and has beautiful artwork. Worth noting it was made to accompany the game of the same name, which tries to emulate the ecosystem with as up to date information as possible, where you can play as a dinosaur (last I checked, still only Dakotaraptor and Triceratops, but I think they working on getting Tyrannosaurus ready), and the dinosaurs within that have their life stages illustrated are the main playable ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.