News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How to pronounce "Schleich"

Started by BlueKrono, April 03, 2022, 09:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I always pronounced the name as "Shlike". Is that correct?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 03, 2022, 09:03:18 AM

avatar_indohyus @indohyus : It was a pleasure meeting you in person via ZOOM. Repetition recommended  ^-^

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono : No, that is actually wrong. It´s not the same as in "Munich". But it is difficult for an English speaking person to produce the palate tones "soft ch" and "hard ch". They haven´t grown up with it, since it does seldom (never?!) appear in English. Actually, I don´t find an example, to be honest. Maybe you say "shellshocked" and pretend you habe a speech defect, pronouncing the "sh" with an open mouth (lips broad and relaxed as if you´re grinning excessively) and letting the air hiss, passing a tongue, whose forefront lies broadly and relaxed in the lower jaw, while rising its backside at the same time. :o ^-^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnPFloFiX0

BlueKrono

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 03, 2022, 10:11:54 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 03, 2022, 09:03:18 AM

avatar_indohyus @indohyus : It was a pleasure meeting you in person via ZOOM. Repetition recommended  ^-^

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono : No, that is actually wrong. It´s not the same as in "Munich". But it is difficult for an English speaking person to produce the palate tones "soft ch" and "hard ch". They haven´t grown up with it, since it does seldom (never?!) appear in English. Actually, I don´t find an example, to be honest. Maybe you say "shellshocked" and pretend you habe a speech defect, pronouncing the "sh" with an open mouth (lips broad and relaxed as if you´re grinning excessively) and letting the air hiss, passing a tongue, whose forefront lies broadly and relaxed in the lower jaw, while rising its backside at the same time. :o ^-^

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor That is interesting! I only speak English, Spanish and Portuguese fluently, but I'm also learning Arabic. That sound is somewhat similar to the way you would pronounce "rr" in Portuguese and very reminiscent of Arabic's "kh" sound like in the word for five - "khamseh". You're right, we don't have any words like that in English, not even loanwords, of which we have many. I took phonetics in college, so it's cool learning sounds and languages that are so different from English. I know almost no German, but it's interesting that there are such different sounds, seeing as how they are such closely related languages. When it comes to pronouncing scientific names like dinosaurs correctly a PhD once told me since Latin is an extinct language there's really no totally correct way to pronounce them. Not sure if others would agree...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

An interesting mini-topic, deserving of its own thread for ease of future reference, I think!  C:-)

stargatedalek

I used to pronounce it "Skuh-laich" or "Skuh-lay-ch"*, but someone at my yardsale told me it's pronounced "Shuh-leck". *I'm used to romanization of ei being "eyy" as it is in Japanese.

*edit*
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 03, 2022, 03:30:14 PM
When it comes to pronouncing scientific names like dinosaurs correctly a PhD once told me since Latin is an extinct language there's really no totally correct way to pronounce them. Not sure if others would agree...
The problem is that binomial names aren't made exclusively in old Latin. Some use "new Latin", Greek, and many combinations of the three. Not to mention all of the animals named after peoples, places, or cultural elements in every language, or the rise of Chinese in nomenclature.

Halichoeres

Interesting, I'd have pronounced the ending "ch" as in Scottish "Loch." So is this correct?

[ʃlaɪ̯ç]

Working from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German_phonology
The ç phoneme is not part of my standard repertoire but [ x ] is so I find that if I concentrate I can make it happen.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PumperKrickel

Funnily enough there are several videos about this from Schleich themselves and all of them are technically wrong, so it doesn't seem to matter.

This mildly unsettling video demonstrates the german way of saying it.
https://youtu.be/UNGA_lqugd4

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 03, 2022, 05:51:46 PM
I used to pronounce it "Skuh-laich" or "Skuh-lay-ch"*, but someone at my yardsale told me it's pronounced "Shuh-leck". *I'm used to romanization of ei being "eyy" as it is in Japanese.

That's how I've always pronounced it. Shuh-leck.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 03, 2022, 08:51:51 PM
Interesting, I'd have pronounced the ending "ch" as in Scottish "Loch." So is this correct?

[ʃlaɪ̯ç]

Working from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German_phonology
The ç phoneme is not part of my standard repertoire but [ x ] is so I find that if I concentrate I can make it happen.
Same here, though it was more due to some other German words with /ch/ such as "Buchen", rather than Scottish "loch".
But German is not one unified language, as there is a lot of varieties, with slightly varying orthographies, based on my personal experiences.

I always love it when the forum starts talking about linguistics

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Newt

I'm always surprised at how soft spoken German sounds; when I try to sound out German as I think the orthography indicates, it sounds like I'm imitating a train derailment.

I too was in the "Shlike" camp. I'll try to improve my pronunciation, even if I never have reason to speak the name Schleich out loud.

bmathison1972

I've always pronounced it like avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres but then again I have never really conversed with anyone about it since I've only met one other person in this hobby in person.

Maybe we should pronounce it as 'Sch-lick', cuz when you look at some of their figures, you say, 'ick'!! (just kidding of course).

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I always said "Shlike" and never thought anything of it until I saw this thread. Wow, I am glad to know at least, it doesn't look like a 2 syllable word to me, but then again "Troodon" doesn't look like a 3 syllable word and yet it is.
I've been thinking about them recently as well as I was buying their DC comics figures.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Creature

I've been wondering about this recently, so thanks for the discussion!
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Fembrogon

Interestingly, Schleich's own website seems to promote the "Sh-like/Sch-leish" pronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOo-yi4NYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY8AS0yi3kI

Bowhead Whale

You have to pronounce it "Schlihhh". In german, the letters "ch" are pronounced "hhh".

Stegotyranno420

I wouldn't use the trigraph hhh but I get what you mean, you are referring to the voiceless velar fricative, represented IPA symbol [ x ], similar to the J in Spanish mujeres, KH in Mongolian khaan, ch in Old English Cnicht. A very raspy h or alternatively a very "weak airy" K, but not aspirated as in Anicent Greek χειρός(cheiros)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative#Occurrence
As mentioned before, there are some varieties which do it differently.

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 13, 2022, 09:09:13 PMI wouldn't use the trigraph hhh but I get what you mean, you are referring to the voiceless velar fricative, represented IPA symbol [ x ], similar to the J in Spanish mujeres, KH in Mongolian khaan, ch in Old English Cnicht. A very raspy h or alternatively a very "weak airy" K, but not aspirated as in Anicent Greek χειρός(cheiros)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative#Occurrence
As mentioned before, there are some varieties which do it differently.

Exactly. And if I described the sound as hhh, it is because I didn't know how else to describe it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.