News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mosasaurus hoffmannii Skull

Started by Dinoreplicas, August 04, 2020, 08:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Clever solution for the sclerotic ring. Looking good so far
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2020, 09:34:13 PMClever solution for the sclerotic ring. Looking good so far
Thanks, it's coming together quicker than usual :)

Pretty much there with the sculpting I reckon, been chipping away at it in spare moments.
I'll leave it alone for a day so I can look at it fresh but pending a few tweaks it's about ready to 3D-printize.

Dinoreplicas

Made the additional stuff for the 3D print, the jaw hinge (pin & knuckle), jaw stiffener, eye stalks (not shown) and mounting hole.
Got this on order from Shapeways at 1:20 scale, I have to have at least one test print to see if any adjustments are needed. I'll get a few photos when received.

Pin for jaw hinge (orange cylinders), had to slightly cut into the model to provide clearance for the hinge knuckle (attached to lower jaw).

The box shaped braces are to add some resistance, helping the jaw hold it's position by means of spring tension (that's the plan anyway :))).

Dinoreplicas

Got my mosasaurus skull from Shapeways. This particular 3D print is the 1/20th scale version, also doing 1/12th, 1/16th and 1/24th. This isn't just for the photos, it also doubles as a product test. The hinge parts and jaw stiffeners work but I can make some small improvements, as it is this isn't far from being ready for sale.

To keep the part count down (multiple parts increases cost), I've attached the eye rings to the lower jaw via stumpy sprues. Not sure why I put them on the jaw, for the sale version I'll just attach them in place to the cranium via a couple of struts.

The eye parts are so small I'm a bit daunted at the prospect of locating and attaching them. I've left them in place for now so I don't lose them. Next I need to get the eye rings attached, paint the model, make and attach a mount and then get a few photos sorted. Maybe get this done later in the week.

It looks too pristine in it's white unpainted state, can't wait to grunge it up a bit :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

modelnut

Dinoreplicas

Thanks guys! Made some minor mods to the final version, beefed up the jaw stiffener bars and added in-place eye supports.

Putting the model on Shapeways today when I've got the product pics prepped and cropped. This is the first photo from the batch I took this week.

Dinoreplicas

Managed to get all 4 scale versions through Shapeways checks

Product thread here in the Dinosaur kits section

Halichoeres

It must feel good to get the models in your hand after a successful print. Well done, and thanks for taking us along on the journey.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

modelnut

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 27, 2020, 11:38:32 PMIt must feel good to get the models in your hand after a successful print.
It is. It's also fun to see how the model has translated from digital to physical. If I get more seriously into 3D I should look into getting a printer.
QuoteWell done, and thanks for taking us along on the journey.
Thanks, it's great to hear someone enjoys following my progress.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: modelnut on September 29, 2020, 11:09:45 PM
Ordered.  ;D

- Leelan
Thanks, very much admire your work and look forward to seeing what you do with the models.

modelnut

Quote from: Dinoreplicas on September 30, 2020, 12:50:46 PM
Thanks, very much admire your work and look forward to seeing what you do with the models.

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I have some time off next week and hope to get some model work done. Now if only Murphy would bother someone else for a while . . .

- Leelan

Dinoreplicas

Had some inquiries about my models so updating this W.I.P. thread to point at-

Finished Mosasaurus model link here

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.