News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA excalibosaurus

Started by Odobenocetops, December 04, 2022, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odobenocetops

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if the CollectA excalibosaurus can be used accurately as any other 1:35-1:40 ichtyosaurus and, if so, what modifications I shall do in the model.

I'm talking about this one https://dinotoyblog.com/2017/11/18/excalibosaurus-collecta/

It's 5"/13cm long

Thanks!

Halichoeres

I think it would work okay as a Eurhinosaurus or Leptonectes at that scale.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ItsTwentyBelow

The CollectA Excalibosaurus is nicely scaled to 1:35-1:40 for an adult individual of 20-22 feet in length. I see no need to call it Eurhinosaurus or another different genus.

I use this figure in one of my own 1:35 displays next to other ichthyosaurs in that scale. It is perfectly serviceable.

dinofelid

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 13, 2022, 03:39:47 PMThe CollectA Excalibosaurus is nicely scaled to 1:35-1:40 for an adult individual of 20-22 feet in length. I see no need to call it Eurhinosaurus or another different genus.

I use this figure in one of my own 1:35 displays next to other ichthyosaurs in that scale. It is perfectly serviceable.

The dinotoyblog entry says it's around 5 inches or 13 cm long, which at 1:35 would be more like a 15-foot individual (a lot smaller than the only known fossil believed to be from an adult, whose size was estimated at about 23 feet).

Odobenocetops

Thank you very much avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres !
Will study those two

ItsTwentyBelow

Overall, the Collecta Excalibosaurus works fine in either scale as a slightly smaller individual if you consider a natural population distribution. People tend not to think outside of the box the fossil record puts us in. Not every adult Excalibosaurus would have attained quite that size. Really, I think it's a negligible size difference when we're talking about how toy figures may appear together.

Halichoeres

Yeah, avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow has a point, extinct populations varied more than we can ever know, so I favor being pretty relaxed about scale. I use my Excalibosaurus as an Excalibosaurus on my 1:35 - 1:40 marine shelf.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

dinofelid

Some species vary in size more than others, but note that if the 23-foot estimate for the adult fossil is assumed to be an average-sized individual, and this model is taken to represent a 15-foot adult individual at 1:35 scale, that would be about 65% the average size, which would be like an adult human male who's 3 foot 9 inches tall.

Halichoeres

That's not quite apples-to-apples just because humans grow for only a short time after maturity, but ichthyosaurs are pretty likely to have been able to grow for many years as adults, even if their growth wasn't strictly indeterminate. If an average American alligator is 3.4 meters in length, an adult of 2.2 meters (65%) is not a remarkable occurrence. But yeah, on a 1:35 shelf, the Excalibosaurus will look like that young 2.2 meter adult, which I could see being unsatisfying to someone who wants their display to convey how big these animals could have gotten.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: dinofelid on December 13, 2022, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 13, 2022, 03:39:47 PMThe CollectA Excalibosaurus is nicely scaled to 1:35-1:40 for an adult individual of 20-22 feet in length. I see no need to call it Eurhinosaurus or another different genus.

The dinotoyblog entry says it's around 5 inches or 13 cm long, which at 1:35 would be more like a 15-foot individual (a lot smaller than the only known fossil believed to be from an adult, whose size was estimated at about 23 feet).

There's a second fossil presumed to be a juvenile, and this model would be almost perfectly in between the two sizes at 1:40.