News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CARNOTAURUS repaints/ruined figures…

Started by CARN0TAURUS, February 02, 2022, 09:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

The aesthetic arrangements of your zhuchentyrannus have been great. Like almost all repaints and modifications of the original sculpt, this figure wins with the fixes and modifications you've made, your modified zhuchentyrannus is better than the original. The yellow crest has been fantastic.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 15, 2022, 07:55:00 AM
The aesthetic arrangements of your zhuchentyrannus have been great. Like almost all repaints and modifications of the original sculpt, this figure wins with the fixes and modifications you've made, your modified zhuchentyrannus is better than the original. The yellow crest has been fantastic.
Thank you for the kind words, I liked the yellow crest I felt it matched the overall color blends better but I also felt it deviated too much from the original.  Unfortunately I didn't see it thru with gloss coat and everything to see like a more finished version of the yellow lemon color.  I went back to the orange and then decided it needed a pinch of red, so I settled on a blood orange that while different than the original it's closer in spirit to what the original looked like than the lemon colored crest.  I'm posting an image of the original and you can see the messy finish on the snout plus the almost complete lack of crest paint application, it was almost as if the factory painter was running low on orange and dipped the brush in water and then applied a watered down mix of paint.  You could barely see it.  To make matters worse I had already held in hand my original toothless and I had already seen how beautifully painted he was.  Regrettably I didn't keep him, I think I could've figure out a way to fix his teeth using some modeling techniques, super glue and perhaps the very tips of some very small sewing pins could've been used to fill in the two missing teeth.  I'm done messing around with this, I'm afraid if I do anything else it will look too different from what came in the box.  I'm happy with the extra detail and the darker face, neck, shoulder, feet, front of legs, and hip area.  I'm also happy it has a visible crest color now.

Here's the pre-detail original

Here's the lemon crested version

Here's the final version after another round of dry brushing around the shoulders, back, and head, includes some work on the teeth, the new blood orange crest, and the gloss on teeth, mouth, and crest.

Shonisaurus

That crest repaint is much better.

CARN0TAURUS

Haven't played around with these a while, I'm going to try an finish my "black gamba" modifications before my Lucas gets here, sorry about the quality of the lighting, I don't have a studio set up in my house.

SidB

Jose S.M.

CARN0TAURUS

I'm thinking about extending the black down his shoulder and part of upper arm too, haven't decided yet...

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 26, 2023, 01:36:33 AMThanks guys :)

I went ahead and added black to the shoulder and upper arms and then I simplified the patterns by eliminating the leg stripes with more black instead added some predator style spotting on the legs and shoulders too.

I think I prefer the simpler cleaner look, it already has a ton of stripes I think it can do with few less.  The leg stripes made me think of an okapi and not what I was after, IDK, I think this looks even more aggressive...

Kapitaenosavrvs

Did you already tried out washes a bit for blending, if desired? I know this feeling of getting darker and darker while panting and having impulsive Ideas :D But i like it.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on February 28, 2023, 12:13:14 AMDid you already tried out washes a bit for blending, if desired? I know this feeling of getting darker and darker while panting and having impulsive Ideas :D But i like it.

I'm not there yet, but yes, it will be getting a bit darker in some areas and lighter in others once I do the washes.  I'll be doing the dark pin washes first and come back over the top with a slight layering of dust on the top of the animal. 

I'll also be adding a nice dark red wash to the inside of the mouth before I gloss coat it, the red seeps into all the little nooks and crannies and gives the impression of blood residue in the mouth from feeding.  I did that with the Zhuchentyrannus and it took the pink in the mouth to another level.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 28, 2023, 02:34:01 AM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on February 28, 2023, 12:13:14 AMDid you already tried out washes a bit for blending, if desired? I know this feeling of getting darker and darker while panting and having impulsive Ideas :D But i like it.

I'm not there yet, but yes, it will be getting a bit darker in some areas and lighter in others once I do the washes.  I'll be doing the dark pin washes first and come back over the top with a slight layering of dust on the top of the animal. 

I'll also be adding a nice dark red wash to the inside of the mouth before I gloss coat it, the red seeps into all the little nooks and crannies and gives the impression of blood residue in the mouth from feeding.  I did that with the Zhuchentyrannus and it took the pink in the mouth to another level.

Oh yes! When you mix your washes yourself and add a Drop of Dishsoap, It will flow quite different without surface tension. I use different washes for different occasions, but do not ask me when the right moment is to use the right one. I do not know. Hehe :D

I tend to "overwash" something because i like it so much :D

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on February 28, 2023, 12:37:43 PM

Oh yes! When you mix your washes yourself and add a Drop of Dishsoap, It will flow quite different without surface tension. I use different washes for different occasions, but do not ask me when the right moment is to use the right one. I do not know. Hehe :D

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs

Any particular kind of dishsoap?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 28, 2023, 05:45:01 PM

Nah, not really. Fluid Soap is better, i would say, hehe. Jk, it is just to break the surface Tension from the Water you mixed your Wash with. Its really going into all the cracks and cravices. I do not know if it is said that way. But i did it anyways. well.:D

Perfect vor natural Environment like Stones and so on. But rather useful, if you want the Wash finer and more concentrated in the deep Parts of The Figure and so on. Just try it out a bit. you just need a tiny amount and experiment with it a bit.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 01, 2023, 12:36:19 AM

Nah, not really. Fluid Soap is better, i would say, hehe. Jk, it is just to break the surface Tension from the Water you mixed your Wash with. Its really going into all the cracks and cravices. I do not know if it is said that way. But i did it anyways. well.:D

Perfect vor natural Environment like Stones and so on. But rather useful, if you want the Wash finer and more concentrated in the deep Parts of The Figure and so on. Just try it out a bit. you just need a tiny amount and experiment with it a bit.
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 01, 2023, 12:36:19 AM

Nah, not really. Fluid Soap is better, i would say, hehe. Jk, it is just to break the surface Tension from the Water you mixed your Wash with. Its really going into all the  :) cracks and cravices. I do not know if it is said that way. But i did it anyways. well.:D

Thanks for the heads up, I have several old figures that I can test this out on, I will definitely be trying it out!  :)

Lately I've been experimenting with pigments and trying those to create dust effects and even like a "dry wash" to highlight darker details.

Stegotyranno420

Great repaints avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS , it is always a delightlooking at your repaints.

Thanks for the paint and soap tips avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs.
It would be exciting to test this technique. Usually the dark wash and dry brush merge together nomatter the water content, so i really appreciate it.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.