You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1/35 Argentinosaurus ideal dimensions ?

Started by SenSx, February 18, 2023, 07:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Hello,

I hesite to get the 1/35 argentinosaurus resin kit from Lanatimeshop...

But I wonder if the dimension are really accurate for a 1/35 model, I found contradictory informations...

https://lanatime-shop.com/products/juxiang001?_pos=1&_sid=d1879b5c6&_ss=r

They are stating: 1/35 Scale Size: Length 100 cm / 39.3 inches, Height 60 cm / 23.6 inches

Thanks

dinofelid

Based on the proportion of length and height in this side view, it looks like the length they give is not measured along the spine, but is instead the straight-line horizontal length in a normal standing posture (if the sun was directly overhead, the distance along the ground between the shadow of the front of the head and the shadow of the tip of the tail). There's a reconstruction here on "the sauropodomorph lair" blog that looks similar in proportion, and which gives reconstructed dimensions for both height and horizontal "standing length" (as opposed to 'axial length' measured along the spine), 16.3 meters and 29 meters respectively, whereas the 1:35 lana-time model would represent an animal with a height of 21 meters and a standing length of 35 meters, considerably larger. I don't know what the range of reconstructed sizes is though, you can see from the diagram on that page that Argentinosaurus is pretty fragmentary, the known parts of the skeleton are in white and everything else is speculation based on other titanosaurs (and this page mentions that the known Argentinosaurus bones are not all from the same individual).

I also put a flexible ruler on that linked image of the lana-time model to try to measure the axial length along the spine compared to the height, if the height is 60 cm I think the length along the spine is around 122 cm, so at 1:35 the axial length would be 42.7 meters long. This is also a lot larger than the sauropodomorph lair reconstruction which has the axial length as 35.1 meters, and also longer than the length estimates from various experts in the "size" section of the wikipedia article (I assume they are all axial lengths since that's how length is generally stated in paleontology papers).

There was an even more fragmentary probable titanosaur discussed in this sauropodomorph lair post, based on a partial rib the author tries to roughly estimate its overall size by scaling up Patagotitan, looking at the scale bar here it seems the height is estimated at around 18 m and the standing length is estimated at around 32 m, so still a bit smaller than what the lana-time model would be at 1:35, but getting close.

If you can find a copy of the PNSO Huanghetitan that can also work as one of the big titanosaurs at 1:35 (the review points out they're all pretty fragmentary so 'it's quite versatile and can represent other huge titanosaurs (eg. Argentinosaurus) in your collection'). It has a height of 39 cm (13.7 m at 1:35), 68 cm standing length (23.8 m), 81 cm along the spine (28.4 m), so it would fit within the range of Patagotitan specimens here though the proportion of height to length is a little different. The 1/55 version of the lana-time Argentinosaurus could also potentially work as a 1:35 version of a Patagotitan, in which case it would represent one with a height of 12.25 m and a standing length of 21 m.

There is also the Era Terra Patagotitan which is supposed to work as a 1:35 model of a 33.6 meter individual in the DinosDragons review below (he says it's the "centra" length, so same as axial length above, see the "length" box on p. 8 of Dinosaur Facts and Figures: The Theropods):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XIMLdzZOjc

SenSx

Thanks for the very complete answer dinofelid.

To sum up the Lana Argentinosaurus could do it, it is still slightly oversized based on the biggest estimations.
But I don't know what to do because I would like to get a titanosaurus in my collection, but if it could be smaller and still 1/35 and cheaper, that would be nice :)
Lana's is very expensive.

I wish someone else could make another 1/35 titanosaur, maybe 1/40.
If only PNSO could make some, the Huanghetitan is not really to my liking.
I'm indeed interested in the  Era Terra Patagotitan, it could be more reasonable in size, but not so sure about the price ^^

Rayeknor

The Era Terra patagotitan is USD110 plus shipping, and having ordered one myself I'll say it is absolutely worth the price. The amount of detail in the model as well as how thorough research the maker did on the science of the animal are both above and beyond any mass produced model on the market. It is also made of fiberglass so as much detail as a resin model, but much lighter and less prone to breakage.

And in my opinion the sculpt blows any resin model on the market out of the water save perhaps Declay studios but they don't have a titanosaur available. Oh, and since it is a custom model you get to choose your own color scheme. The guy behind Era Terra is immensely talented and a delight to deal with, I hope he sets himself up a proper webshop or so to make the contact and ordering process smoother, he deserves any profit he can get from his craft which I get the sense from communicating with him is more a labor of love then trying to set up a business.

Remko

Quote from: SenSx on February 18, 2023, 07:43:40 PMHello,

I hesite to get the 1/35 argentinosaurus resin kit from Lanatimeshop...

But I wonder if the dimension are really accurate for a 1/35 model, I found contradictory informations...

https://lanatime-shop.com/products/juxiang001?_pos=1&_sid=d1879b5c6&_ss=r

They are stating: 1/35 Scale Size: Length 100 cm / 39.3 inches, Height 60 cm / 23.6 inches

Thanks

I have the Argentinosaurus kit on order, it's still underway though.
But itwill be the last of my three parter for "ridiculous large sauropods" collection, together with thr Maraapunisaurus and Barosaurus (BYU 9024).

When it arrives I'll measure it up.
For the other two figures they also gave the curve length, but for the Argentinosaurus only the standing length.
But from all the official numbers, the figure appears to be a bit too large.

Remko

Quote from: SenSx on February 20, 2023, 01:08:41 PMThanks for the very complete answer dinofelid.

To sum up the Lana Argentinosaurus could do it, it is still slightly oversized based on the biggest estimations.
But I don't know what to do because I would like to get a titanosaurus in my collection, but if it could be smaller and still 1/35 and cheaper, that would be nice :)
Lana's is very expensive.

I wish someone else could make another 1/35 titanosaur, maybe 1/40.
If only PNSO could make some, the Huanghetitan is not really to my liking.
I'm indeed interested in the  Era Terra Patagotitan, it could be more reasonable in size, but not so sure about the price ^^

I picked up this Alamosaurus from Lana's ebay a while ago. It was "moderately damaged" and therefore the price was a lot lower. But it's a beautiful figure.

Solo:

With Rebor's "Kiss".

SenSx

Quote from: Rayeknor on May 20, 2023, 01:02:14 PMThe Era Terra patagotitan is USD110 plus shipping, and having ordered one myself I'll say it is absolutely worth the price. The amount of detail in the model as well as how thorough research the maker did on the science of the animal are both above and beyond any mass produced model on the market. It is also made of fiberglass so as much detail as a resin model, but much lighter and less prone to breakage.

And in my opinion the sculpt blows any resin model on the market out of the water save perhaps Declay studios but they don't have a titanosaur available. Oh, and since it is a custom model you get to choose your own color scheme. The guy behind Era Terra is immensely talented and a delight to deal with, I hope he sets himself up a proper webshop or so to make the contact and ordering process smoother, he deserves any profit he can get from his craft which I get the sense from communicating with him is more a labor of love then trying to set up a business.

I tried to contact him on his Facebook to order that Patagotitan, without any success...
How did you get in touch with him ?

Thanks Remko, can't wait to see your Argentinosaurus Kit, that Alamosaurus alwready blows my mind, love its roaring pose.

Rayeknor

I got in touch with him via email but most communication through facebook by far, he is at the moment quite swamped and thus likely will take some time to respond. In January he told me ~40 days and the patagotitan shipped this month. It took some time then for a reply and apparently he has a bigger backlog now. If you've made it clear you wish to purchase one of his models I am sure he will get back to you.

SenSx

Ok thanks just contacted him again.

Edit: well he answered me pretty quick this time, but I'm caught of guard !
Got to choose my color, any idea guys ?
The Grey with reddish head from DinoDragon review youtube video seemed to be the best for me.

But I might be able to choose my own personnal color scheme.
I will display it with the W-Dragon Girafatitan, Rebor Diplodocus, PNSO Mamenchisaurus, collecta Badjasaurus.
I might need a color a bit different.

Remko

My Lana Argentinosaurus in 1:35th scale arrived today. Just glued it together, drying now, so probably photo's and comparisons tomorrow or later today. I havr to

Here are some dimensions.

Curved length (nose to tail): 118 cm (41,3 meters)
Standing length: 97 cm (34 meters)
Head height: 58,5 cm (20,3 meters)

The height over the back is somewhat difficult to measure because both the bulk of the animal, as well as the sloping form.
So, here are some measurements over the limbs, not the total height of the back.

Shoulder height: 20 cm (7 meters
Hip height: 18.5 cm (6,5 meters)

The figure comes in 4 parts:
- Head
- Neck
- Body
- Tail

I, however, got five parts. There was an extra head inside. I don't know if that was a mistake, or just a spare in case you lost one, and they are the same head sculpts as well, so it's not that you have to decide which pose you want.

But now I do have the option of using the second head as a hunters trophy, mounted on the wall. Just need a 1:35th  Roland Tembo figure, as a dedication to the late Pete Postlethwaite who portrayed the character in Jurasspic Park: The Lost World.

Overall impression, it's huge and bulky. Just like you'll expect from a Titanosaur.

Compared to my previous largest Titanosaur, PNSO's Huanghetitan, the Argentinosaurus is slightly lower in the back, but with a much longer neck and tail. As well as much wider in girth.

It poses really well with PNSO's Mapusaurus and Meraxes, which were contemporaries. And you can imagine the "walking buffet" as shown in BBC's Planet Dinosaur.

I'm really happy with it, and can't wait to pose it next to my Maraapunisaurus and Barosaurus figures. Just need to find some big enough wallshelves to accommodate these giants.