You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Australasia: Visions of Evolution and Extinction Hardcover – April 11, 2023

Started by Cenozoic Fauna, September 24, 2023, 11:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cenozoic Fauna

Really cool and phenomenal newly released book of prehistoric Australasia, very interesting and fascinating, it has been recently released haven't got it yet, but plan to at some point, here's what was mentioned about the book,

"For most of the past 300 million years, the world's continents were interlinked as the supercontinents Pangaea and then Gondwana. Around 50 million years ago, Australia tore itself free from Antarctica to become the huge, splendidly isolated island it is today. Over time, its creatures began to evolve in ways not seen anywhere else on Earth, with tree-climbing crocodiles, gigantic venomous lizards, walking omnivorous bats and flesh-eating kangaroos roaming the continent.

Prehistoric Australasia: Visions of Evolution and Extinction presents some of the most extraordinary creatures the world has ever seen – all unique to Australia, New Guinea, New Zealand and their surrounding islands
Over 100 meticulously painted panoramas by palaeoartist Peter Schouten are accompanied by descriptions of the unique environments and features of these animals, written by four of Australia's foremost palaeontologists. This book explores the nature and timing of extinction events in the Southern Hemisphere, considers whether some of these losses might be able to be reversed, and how we can use the fossil record to help save today's critically endangered species. Through stunning artwork and fascinating text, Prehistoric Australasia brings this globally unique transformation over time to glorious, colorful life.

Features:
Offers fascinating glimpses into the prehistoric past of Australia, New Zealand and New Guinea.
More than 100 paintings showcasing the changing biotas of Australasia over the last 3.6 billion years.
Reveals the unique features of prehistoric animals and the environments where they lived."

it is available on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Prehistoric-Australasia-Visions-Evolution-Extinction/dp/064310805X

Also a preview of the book as well https://www.google.com/books/edition/Prehistoric_Australasia/kIq2EAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Prehistoric+Australasia:+Visions+of+Evolution+and+Extinction+books&printsec=frontcover

Halichoeres

I've had this on my wish list for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm especially interested in the generous selection of Paleozoic biota.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Oh, that does look very nice. I will have to put it on my ever-growing list.

I get why they chose to put Australovenator on the cover, and it's a lovely painting, but really... The fact that sex theropods sell is so disappointing. We could have had land crocs, horned turtles, giant flightless birds, archaic whales, nutty marsupials, Gogo Reef fishies, or Ediacaran weirdos instead.

Halichoeres

It is funny that despite what a crummy Mesozoic terrestrial record Australia has, and what a rich Paleozoic record, they went with the fragmentary theropod. On the bright side, if it sells more books and introduces more people to the Good Stuff, maybe it's worth it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.