News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

An armored catfish from the Cretaceous of Morocco

Started by Halichoeres, May 03, 2024, 02:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

While there are some boring theropods known from the Kem Kem Group, we all know the real stars are the fish! Here's another one, the earliest known armored catfish:

Afrocascudo saharensis (cascudo is the Portuguese name for armored catfishes in Brazil)
A lot of the skull is missing, so they've identified it by its fin rays, armor plates, and anterior vertebrae (the Weberian apparatus). This fossil is evidence that the armored catfishes (Loricarioidei) originated before the full separation of Africa and South America.

Paper (paywall, but pm me if you want the pdf): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1342937X24000947
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Reminds me of Pterygoplichthys, which is an armored catfish invasive species we have here in Florida. And let me tell you, they're in every body of water here in Florida...

It's always an interesting read especially if it relates to modern relatives some of us may see or interact with today. Thank you for the read avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres!

Halichoeres

avatar_Bread @Bread yep, that's definitely in the same large clade (Loricarioidea). Nearly 1,200 species, from such humble beginnings. Includes plenty of great aquarium fish, who are not so great if you dump them in a pond after they outgrow a tank!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I used to have an 18" royal pleco named Shredder. I guess I still technically have him. I kept him in my freezer so long after he died that he got freezer burnt. Now he has been hanging on my garage wall for the last 6 years. To give you an idea of how long I've had his corpse he was alive about 20 years ago. He was just too cool to dispose of. I like Loricariids.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 06, 2024, 05:49:15 PMI used to have an 18" royal pleco named Shredder. I guess I still technically have him. I kept him in my freezer so long after he died that he got freezer burnt. Now he has been hanging on my garage wall for the last 6 years. To give you an idea of how long I've had his corpse he was alive about 20 years ago. He was just too cool to dispose of. I like Loricariids.

I get it. I have 3 bichirs in the freezer that I just can't let go of

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2024, 08:00:34 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 06, 2024, 05:49:15 PMI used to have an 18" royal pleco named Shredder. I guess I still technically have him. I kept him in my freezer so long after he died that he got freezer burnt. Now he has been hanging on my garage wall for the last 6 years. To give you an idea of how long I've had his corpse he was alive about 20 years ago. He was just too cool to dispose of. I like Loricariids.

Well, the plan was to have him professionally mounted but it never came to pass. I used to have a whole mini-freezer full of dead fish but at some point when moving to a new house I decided they didn't need to go with me and I dug a big hole. That's when I discovered that Shredder had been in there so long that he was freeze dried and I decided that was close enough to having him preserved, so I kept him. I'm sure in time he'll be eaten away by insects in my garage but that's alright.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 06, 2024, 09:05:12 PM

Well, the plan was to have him professionally mounted but it never came to pass. I used to have a whole mini-freezer full of dead fish but at some point when moving to a new house I decided they didn't need to go with me and I dug a big hole. That's when I discovered that Shredder had been in there so long that he was freeze dried and I decided that was close enough to having him preserved, so I kept him. I'm sure in time he'll be eaten away by insects in my garage but that's alright.

Just spray it with lacquer. Preserved forever!

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on May 07, 2024, 02:24:02 AM

I might just do that, then probably move him into the house. lol

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2024, 02:25:35 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 07, 2024, 02:24:02 AM

I might just do that, then probably move him into the house. lol

I had one leopard pleco that was 18" and lived for 25 years, a second one that was 17" and lived for 19 years. They were the only catfish I kept, I've always been into rift valley cichlids, but I had a jaguar cichlid that was right about 19" that I fed culls to. He would have made a cool mount, but I don't think I could've actually done it. I was attached to him.

Torvo

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 06, 2024, 03:22:21 PMavatar_Bread @Bread yep, that's definitely in the same large clade (Loricarioidea). Nearly 1,200 species, from such humble beginnings. Includes plenty of great aquarium fish, who are not so great if you dump them in a pond after they outgrow a tank!
Interesting... And yep it's no joke they are plentiful. After fishing this past weekend once again, I at least counted a good twenty or so spotted in a narrow canal, easily 100 yards area we hover at to fish.