News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Accurate Torvosaurus figure

Started by Sim, February 17, 2024, 08:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Sim on June 25, 2024, 01:13:40 PMI knew that Torvosaurus tanneri and Torvosaurus gurneyi were the same size, 10m long and that larger estimates for T. gurneyi were found to be exaggerations.  Looking recently on the Torvosaurus Wikipedia page, I noticed a user that has been changing lots of dinosaur length estimates has revised the length of T. tanneri to 9m and T. gurneyi to 10-11m.  I wonder what the true length of these animals were?  Anyone have an idea?
M @Manospundylus gigas, do you have any thoughts in response to what I've written in the quote above?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on February 17, 2024, 08:02:21 PMthe PNSO figure also has the nasal crest, which is made-up as no megalosaurid has the upper nasal preserved.

Interestingly, it was pointed out recently on a Facebook discussion of historical Megalosaurus depictions that gave it a Ceratosaurus-style crest, that it's likely megalosaurids did have nasal crests. They are a basal feature of averostrans* or even neotheropods, plus spinosaurids have them. Crestless megalosaurs are therefore probably inaccurate.

*In fact, because traditional "dilophosaurids" are mostly a paraphyleyic grade, the LCA of tetanurans was not only crested, it probably had a large, flashy crest or pair of crests, so any small-crested or crestless tetanurans have reduced their crest size. I suspect a lot of species with "small" nasal crests actually had large keratin extensions in life. Maybe not coincidentally, you don't start seeing significant crest reduction until Maniraptoriformes, where feathers likely took over the display role in some lineages. Thisis of course excluding babies, like compsognathids, Dilong, etc.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

I've seen that The Theropod Database estimates both Torvosaurus species at 10m long, same for the papers that name each species.  The larger estimates for T. gurneyi were found to be erroneous when the species was described.  I'm aware the Eofauna theropod book estimates both Torvosaurus species as over 11m long though.  And that there's those very fragmentary specimens that could be from specimens around 12m long, but further study is required to establish whether they are Torvosaurus specimens.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.