News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

new tiny possible azhdarchid

Started by Halichoeres, September 02, 2016, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

New specimen from Late Cretaceous North America. Probably azhdarchid, but it's roughly the size of a cat, at a time when small pterosaurs were thought to be extinct. They refrained from giving it a name, but interesting find.

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/8/160333
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Guess Pterosaurs did not decline a much as previously thought, unless it turns out to be a juvenile.

What a cute little Pterosaur.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

deanm

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I will be reading the article tonight.

I suspect that the pterosaur story of decline and replacement by birds will turn out to be a more complex story - one involving habitat shifts (to habitats less conducive to leaving behind remains for fossilization) and growing animal size niche shifting. As pterosaurs grew they would go through two or more ecological niche shifts (insects do something similar now) based on their size and subtle changes in their morphology.

Also, as more fossil material is discovered it will only enhance and richen the overall pterosaur evolutionary story as we go on.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.