You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Brachiosaurus figures are actually Brachiosaurus?

Started by CityRaptor, April 14, 2013, 01:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Since most are based on Giraffatitan, back when it was considered a species of Brachiosaurus, I wonder which ones are actually Brachiosaurus.

So far I know:
Carnegie Brachiosaurus ( 2012 Version )

But which else?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Horridus

Arguably, the newer Wild Safari also represents Brachiosaurus altithorax.

All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

amargasaurus cazaui

That one is a good question, since the seperation of the two species itself is still somewhat debateable. A few things that make it a very difficult question are the mount in Berlin itself is a composite, with pieces from several animals being used to create.The dinosaur itself might well have been made from various growth levels.
  The North American version has given such a paucity of remains that attempting to suggest two seperate animals from what is there for the North American versus what has been composited for the African piece, becomes a complicated tapestry.
  I believe it was Michael Taylor that did the study and stated that every comparable bone between the two dinosaurs showed differences however, and that was his basis for suggesting the seperate species for the two animals.
  My question would be is there a single version of Brachiosaurus Branchai mounted to compare with the Berlin Mount to give some concept of the differences it would visibly make in the animal? I had understood that many of the differences were somewhat simple to the internal structure or shape of verts.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Horridus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 14, 2013, 07:01:33 PM
That one is a good question, since the seperation of the two species itself is still somewhat debateable.

It's the generic separation that's debatable, rather than the specific separation; I don't think anyone's ever argued that they're the same species [/pedantry].

Here's part of the abstract from Mike Taylor's paper:

"Detailed study of the bones of both species show that they are distinguished by at least 26 characters of the dorsal and caudal vertebrae, coracoids, humeri, ilia, and femora, with the dorsal vertebrae being particularly different between the two species. These animals must therefore be considered generically separate, and the genus name Giraffatitan Paul 1988 must be used for "Brachiosaurus" brancai, in the combination Giraffatitan brancai...The American Brachiosaurus is shown to be somewhat different from Giraffatitan in overall bodily proportions: it had a longer and deeper trunk and probably a longer and taller tail, carried a greater proportion of its mass on the forelimbs, and may have had somewhat sprawled forelimbs."

Full paper here (open access, wahey!): http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/pubs/taylor2009/Taylor2009-brachiosaurus-and-giraffatitan.pdf

Happily, skeletal master Scott Hartman has gifted us this:

All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.