News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shane Foulkes Spinosaurus

Started by ataraxus, April 10, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I heard him say a smaller scale as well before.   I:40 is fine but I'd love a 1:20 or 1:15 version of this guy.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2013, 04:13:32 PM
Yeah I heard him say a smaller scale as well before.   I:40 is fine but I'd love a 1:20 or 1:15 version of this guy.
Why? Shane Foulkes' Spino is already 1:15 scale, and I heard he is going to sculpt another one eventually. Not everyone has space for huge models. David Krentz seems to have a preference for working in a small scale, considering most of his past works.

Btw, Derek, there is another Spino model kit you might consider- the MO kit, sculpted by Sean Cooper.

1:50, but still pretty big. Another model to add to my wish list XD

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 07, 2013, 04:24:24 PM
Why? Shane Foulkes' Spino is already 1:15 scale, and I heard he is going to sculpt another one eventually. Not everyone has space for huge models. David Krentz seems to have a preference for working in a small scale, considering most of his past works.

Shane's current Spino as mentioned isn't very accurate, especially not anymore.  Shane's next spinosaur is supposed to be a 1:15 Baryonyx, which I'm currently planning to purchase. With David's Spino out there I'm not sure Shane will want to do one for his 1:30 range at the time.

True they do not, but I myself do and like the big pieces..1:15 especially .  David has done larger pieces in the past, his Gorgosaurus, Einiosaurus, Sideshow Rex, are all awesome pieces and I hope to one day acquire his Rex Mundi piece as well. I  do believe he favors the computer generated art programs now which allow to make more pieces a bit quicker. But it limits the size of models quite a bit, hence the smaller scale.  I don't mind the computer art pieces at all, but it's hard to beat one sculpted by actual , artistic hands.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 07, 2013, 03:12:19 PM

:D Ooohh, how I want the Saurozoic version!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Derek Sohoza

Btw, Derek, there is another Spino model kit you might consider- the MO kit, sculpted by Sean Cooper.

Both the Krentz and the Cooper model look nice. However, I do wish Cooper included more photographs of the actual model rather than a computer-generated image. Even Krentz's zbrush WIP pictures show the detail of the model.
And I couldn't agree more about the models sculpted by the artist's hands. Computers are slowly ruining every aspect of the creative realm for what I can tell. It makes things easier, so everyone hops on the bandwagon.

tyrantqueen

QuoteBoth the Krentz and the Cooper model look nice. However, I do wish Cooper included more photographs of the actual model rather than a computer-generated image. Even Krentz's zbrush WIP pictures show the detail of the model.
And I couldn't agree more about the models sculpted by the artist's hands. Computers are slowly ruining every aspect of the creative realm for what I can tell. It makes things easier, so everyone hops on the bandwagon.
What are you talking about? As far as I know, that image is a real one, not computer generated.
There's a pic of the model in progress here

Sean Cooper does not disappoint, I own his tyrannosaurus rex kit and can vouch for that.

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 01:14:35 PM
QuoteBoth the Krentz and the Cooper model look nice. However, I do wish Cooper included more photographs of the actual model rather than a computer-generated image. Even Krentz's zbrush WIP pictures show the detail of the model.
What are you talking about? As far as I know, that image is a real one, not computer generated.
There's a pic of the model in progress here

Sean Cooper does not disappoint, I own his tyrannosaurus rex kit and can vouch for that.

Maybe it's just the way the image is set up. It doesn't look like a photograph. I was considering buying his ceratosaurus model since Shane's is no longer in production, but like this spino, the best photograph I could find of the model was WIP (work in progress) pictures.

Simon

Let's not forget Malcolm's 1/40 Spinosaurus, which is about 16" long:

Seijun

Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 05:07:22 AM

Both the Krentz and the Cooper model look nice. However, I do wish Cooper included more photographs of the actual model rather than a computer-generated image. Even Krentz's zbrush WIP pictures show the detail of the model.

Why do you think computers are ruining creativity? I dont think computers have ruined creativity at all. If anything, I think they have expanded the creative possibilities. I did give digital sculpting a try, but found it to be a lot harder than working with actual clay. But for those who are good at it, it has allowed them to produce many more beautiful models than they would have been able to produce via non-digital means.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gorgonzola

Quote from: Seijun on June 25, 2013, 12:39:27 AM
Why do you think computers are ruining creativity? I dont think computers have ruined creativity at all. If anything, I think they have expanded the creative possibilities. I did give digital sculpting a try, but found it to be a lot harder than working with actual clay. But for those who are good at it, it has allowed them to produce many more beautiful models than they would have been able to produce via non-digital means.

Very true.  It's got its own set of headaches and frustrations that can crop up.  Heck, I know Krentz was having trouble with his spinosaurus model when he attempted to hollow it out for shapeways.

I used to sculpt some things here and there in super sculpey a few years back, and sculpting traditionally does have its own advantages - namely being able to glob on more clay or rake off chunks when you don't want it, instead of fighting whatever predetermined geometry you may have devised. Would be lovely to have a symmetry option though for traditional stuff, lol.

It still makes a lot of sense for larger models to be done in clay, and I wouldn't change that at all.  But these smaller scales?  Would much rather have the ability to work on it digitally then output it then wrangle with real world clay at, say, 1/72.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.