News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shane Foulkes Spinosaurus

Started by ataraxus, April 10, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ataraxus

finished a new Kit:

i`m not 100 % satisfied i think the stripes could be more subtle, next time this will be better

lourebro

Wow, no need to make the stripes more subtle. 
lourebro

Blade-of-the-Moon

Perhaps they could blend a bit more if that's what you want..but it looks great to me. :)

ataraxus

i hoped that the are enough blendend with the layers i put over this. next time this will be better!
it`s is not natural enough for me.

tyrantqueen

It looks very well camouflaged against the green grass ;)

This Spino looks very JP influenced, I thought Shane Foulkes strived to create museum accurate dinos whenever possible? How accurate would you say this guy is?

Dan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 10, 2013, 05:18:15 PM

This Spino looks very JP influenced, I thought Shane Foulkes strived to create museum accurate dinos whenever possible? How accurate would you say this guy is?

I believe Shane built this Spinosaurus for a Japanese company, which had a very specific (and non-accurate) idea of what they wanted.

s.foulkes

Yes your right on all accounts , Yes it is JP influenced as it was originally a commish for a customer in Japan who backed out and so I took it back and released it myself to make up the cost. And yes I always strive for forensic reconstructions in my work, (museum quality is not accurate to say ,some museums stuff sucks) but this is exactly what the customer wanted but they didn't want to wait so long to get it so now I own it. Did you really think I got spino that wrong? you should know better......lol.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

ataraxus

for me personally it plays not such a big role. I`m mainly a model builder and i very love this model.

Takama

At least you got a tooth notch on him

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ataraxus on April 10, 2013, 09:48:28 PM

for me personally it plays not such a big role. I`m mainly a model builder and i very love this model.
I agree, it's lovely even if it's not accurate.

Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Simon

That Spino was a cancelled commission for a Japanese company which wanted the Spino to look more like the JP3 Spino.  I believe Shane has another one that is more accurate.

amargasaurus cazaui

Guess since he chose to put it out there despite the flaws , best thing to do is call it Spino-sorta :P :P :P
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Can't wait to see Shane do a new Spino it will be excellent I'm sure...or even a Suchomimus would be excellent..but first his new 1:15 Baryonyx is on my list.. ;)

Derek Sohoza

What would you guys say is the most accurate spinosaurus model out there?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 03, 2013, 08:41:59 PM
The Sideshow, but that's not a model kit ;)

Papo- JP replica
Bullyland- ugly
Carnegie- good but the detail on the teeth could have been better
Schleich- LOL no comment
Kinto/Favorite (old model)- teeth/jaws are wrong. Pretty boring in my opinion.

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 03, 2013, 08:56:36 PM
Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 03, 2013, 08:41:59 PM
The Sideshow, but that's not a model kit ;)

Papo- JP replica
Bullyland- ugly
Carnegie- good but the detail on the teeth could have been better
Schleich- LOL no comment
Kinto/Favorite (old model)- teeth/jaws are wrong. Pretty boring in my opinion.

Sideshow does have some great models, even if they aren't kits you put together. Unfortunately they seem to sell pretty fast. Besides the dilophosaurus pair, stegosaurus and baby, and parasaurolophus getting eaten, I can't find any of their other models for sale.
And nice comment on the Schleich model.  :) I agree with you completely. All of their models I've seen are pretty much a joke, in my opinion.

Derek Sohoza

I take that back. I found a few older Sideshow models still for sale, but they priced at more than double what Sideshow was selling them for.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well..he said " model " not necessarily a kit .. though given this is in the model kit section..I would say your only option for a kit is Shane currently. David Krentz has a 1:40 Spino kit in the works though. 

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 04, 2013, 12:56:56 AM
Well..he said " model " not necessarily a kit .. though given this is in the model kit section..I would say your only option for a kit is Shane currently. David Krentz has a 1:40 Spino kit in the works though. 

I looked on Krentz's website, and a few others. I can't seem to find this spino kit.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 07, 2013, 02:58:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 04, 2013, 12:56:56 AM

I looked on Krentz's website, and a few others. I can't seem to find this spino kit.
It's not for sale because it hasn't been released yet.

A sample of what is to come...

It's going to be made in 1/40 for the Saurozoic Collection and also on his Shapeways account in a smaller size (I think...)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: