You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cambropallas Trilobite- I think its a fake- Now With Pictures

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, April 25, 2013, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have a Cambropallas I bought back in November, I think its fake. It is from Morocco. The most obvious piece of evidence for fakery I have is that it is actually losing color.  Since I bought it, the reddish brown coloring on the trilobite has rubbed off so much, some of the higher points are bare, and when touched, the powder comes right off. I also see (or at least I think I see) a crack running around the parimeter of the cephalon, from where the trilobite was put into the stone. Eyes on mine ae also asymmetrical, with the right side being twice as big as the left. I bought this fossil from a museum gift shop, who, in turn, bought them from  reputable dealer. I was wondering if this is really a fake, and if it is, what should I do with it? Pictures (if necessary) coming soon.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SBell

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 25, 2013, 11:42:32 AM
I have a Cambropallas I bought back in November, I think its fake. It is from Morocco. The most obvious piece of evidence for fakery I have is that it is actually losing color.  Since I bought it, the reddish brown coloring on the trilobite has rubbed off so much, some of the higher points are bare, and when touched, the powder comes right off. I also see (or at least I think I see) a crack running around the parimeter of the cephalon, from where the trilobite was put into the stone. Eyes on mine ae also asymmetrical, with the right side being twice as big as the left. I bought this fossil from a museum gift shop, who, in turn, bought them from  reputable dealer. I was wondering if this is really a fake, and if it is, what should I do with it? Pictures (if necessary) coming soon.

There's not much you can do unfortunately--the museum that sold it was probably not aware, and what does a 'reputable dealer' generally mean? Losing colour and possible fossil manipulation indicates that someone pulled a fast one, but who knows at one point. Pictures would be helpful though.

Dinoguy2

It's possible the specimen is also partially restored with plaster. Morocco fossil dealers are notorious for selling, say, mosasaur jaws where an assortment of random teeth are set into totally fabricated plaster jaws. Complete-looking specimens sell better than fragmentary ones, and nearly all fossils are at least somewhat incomplete.

If they had a partial nice trilobite with a few nicely preserved parts, they'd likely want to fill in the gaps to make it a nicer display piece. I wouldn't call that a fake, in the same way that nearly all museum displays are restored with plaster/resin parts to make them look complete. Now if the whole thing is plaster, it's a sculpture, not a fossil, so that would be fake.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Pachyrhinosaurus

I finally got to upload these:

It is clear that there is some color loss down the centre "spine" of the trilobite. (I forget what its called).
And here's one of the edge. I think I see glue.
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

Looks like a real fossil that has been heavily restored. The lack of air bubbles in the matrix and fossil suggests it's not a resin fake. However, the edges of the left side of the body and most of the head look pretty suspect and most likely have been restored/painted on.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Okay, thanks. I'm very cautious with these kind of fossils, and I was worried it was a complete fake.
(Just realised this is my one hundreth post on the new forum!)
Save Dinoland USA!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.