News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Collection of Splonkadumpocus

Started by Splonkadumpocus, January 02, 2013, 03:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 11, 2013, 02:31:48 AM

Late Eocene North America
Hyaenodon (AAA)
Megacerops (CollectA)
Entelodont (AAA)

I'm lucky to have these and finding some of them took a bit of effort. These three and Eusmilus (which will be displayed later) are the only animals from the White River Badlands of North America to have been released in toy form as far as I know. The university I attend (South Dakota School of Mines and Technology) has dealt extensively with fossils from Badlands National Park and many specimens from that area are on display here, so I have quite a bit of a personal connection to this time and place.

Also, yes I did neuter my Megacerops. I occasionally use my collection for educational purposes and I don't want any awkward conversations with children.

Splonkadumpocus, thanks for posting the photos. I appreciate the educational value of the presentation of your collection by geological time and location.  You have a highly disciplined collecting style.  I visited the geology museum at the SD School of Mines in 1996 to see the White River Badland fossils. This spring I hope to have a look at the new Paleontology Research Laboratory.  You are lucky to study there. 

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Splonkadumpocus

Thank you. The school actually has the USA's only master's program specifically in paleontology (and not as a subset of geology or biology) which is the main reason why I chose to attend here. And the location couldn't be better; the Black Hills area is one of those few places where you can access almost the entire geological column in one place.

Come to think of it, I should probably post some pictures of the museum and the lab...

Eocene Africa
Arsinoitherium (Prehistoric Life Toob)
Basilosaurus (Prehistoric Sea Life Toob)

Splonkadumpocus

Eocene-Oligocene Asia
Eusmilus (Bullyland)
Paraceratherium (CollectA)
Andrewsarchus (Wild Safari)

radman

The background/backdrop is terrible. :P
Over and over again, it's like a punishment. :P :P

radman

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 11, 2013, 02:31:48 AM
Also, yes I did neuter my Megacerops. I occasionally use my collection for educational purposes and I don't want any awkward conversations with children.

eg:
Children : Dr Splonk, the megacerops I purchased on the internet has a large external organ, what happened to yours?!
Dr. Splonk:   Well kids, growing up in South Dakota, where there are lots of farm animals, means never having to deal with seeing an animal's genitalia.  That's why I've cut it off, and I've also cut the udders off of these these cow and goat models that I have.  Children should never have to be exposed to such things, as they are awkward.
Children: Yay,  Dr. Splonk you're the bestest!
::)

Splonkadumpocus

Sorry if you feel that way, Radman. I generally figured that was people's biggest complaint about that model and the reason everyone was glad CollectA didn't take the same route with their Deinotherium and Mojo wasn't doing the same with their brontothere.

Also note that I didn't alter the AAA models or the Amebelodon seen here. And most perissodactyls keep their genitals withdrawn when not actively trying to mate.

As for the background, I suppose that's somewhat valid but I'm not sure what I can do about it.

Miocene Asia
Amebelodon (Wild Safari)
Chalicotherium (Bullyland)

Although Amebelodon and Chalicotherium are better known from elsewhere, Asia seems to be the only place the two would have met during the Miocene

Splonkadumpocus

Miocene South America
Macrauchenia (Schleich)
Kelenken (CollectA)

Pleistocene South America
Megatherium (Wild Safari)
Glyptodon (Schleich)
Doedicurus (Wild Safari)
Smilodon (Wild Safari)

Splonkadumpocus

Pleistocene Europe
Woolly Mammoth (Carnegie)
Woolly Mammoth Baby (Wild Safari)
Woolly Rhinoceros (AAA)
Neanderthals (Prehistoric Life Toob)

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Allosaurus (Papo)
Stegosaurus (Great Dinosaurs)

I'll continue to update the scenes posted when I get the opportunity.

radman

Hey man, I was just messin' with you.  Glad you're not sore, there's lots of thin-skinned folks on here, good to know you're not one of them, keep on postin' your collection.  Probably I should have put more  ;) than  :P.
;) :P

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: radman on January 13, 2013, 02:22:28 AM
Hey man, I was just messin' with you.  Glad you're not sore, there's lots of thin-skinned folks on here, good to know you're not one of them, keep on postin' your collection.  Probably I should have put more  ;) than  :P.
;) :P

Ah, good to know.

Splonkadumpocus

UPDATE: New pictures have been added for the Cambrian and Ordovician, and the Eocene has been updated as well.

Splonkadumpocus

Major updates have been posted throughout this thread. New figures have been introduced and scenes reorganized to match.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.