You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How does one become a reviewer/ambassador

Started by Stegotyranno420, January 27, 2021, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

So I have lots of friends who review figures from companies. It seems like they get sent the figures to review them on their medium/media. i got some questions.
1.How does the process work?
2. Does this help the company(examples, Safari, CollectA, Papo, Mojo, etc). I only want to apply if this helps the company. I dont want to be a free loader
3.How/where can i apply
4. I tried this for Safari Ltd(my good friend avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren sent me the link, and i filled the form and got nothing so far, so i wonder how long does it usually take)

Thanks in advance everyone. :)

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 27, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
2. Does this help the company(examples, Safari, CollectA, Papo, Mojo, etc). I only want to apply if this helps the company. I dont want to be a free loader

Well, you have to consider why a company sends free products to reviewers. They probably expect a certain percentage of the reviewers audience to buy the product based on the review. So, in order to be of interest for companies, you'd need to have a consistent, considerable amount of viewers on your content. Otherwise it's not really worth the effort of sending out free samples. I imagine it would also help to make content for a specific demographic of people they would like to reach, but haven't been able to yet.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: PumperKrickel on January 27, 2021, 08:48:11 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 27, 2021, 07:20:52 PM

Well, you have to consider why a company sends free products to reviewers. They probably expect a certain percentage of the reviewers audience to buy the product based on the review. So, in order to be of interest for companies, you'd need to have a consistent, considerable amount of viewers on your content. Otherwise it's not really worth the effort of sending out free samples. I imagine it would also help to make content for a specific demographic of people they would like to reach, but haven't been able to yet.

Yeah, a lot of current reviewers for dinosaurs figures are geared towards older collectors. I was thinking of potentially shifting to more of a parenting blog style channel since I haven't really seen anybody reviewing dinosaur toys from that angle  ;D
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Stegotyranno420

thanks P @PumperKrickel , really appreciate it.

@Dinoguy can you explain further, it seems interesting

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 28, 2021, 09:25:16 PM
thanks P @PumperKrickel , really appreciate it.

@Dinoguy can you explain further, it seems interesting

If you apply to say, Safari to be a brand ambassador they're going to see how big a following you have, and, if there's something that differentiates you from the other influencers they already send free stuff to. I was just observing that almost all YouTube dino reviews are by collectors, for collectors. While Safari surely appreciates the collectors, they are likely more interested in adding influencers who can target their other major customer base, parents of young kids. Lots of parent bloggers cover Safari but most seem focused on animal figures It would be interesting to try to bridge that gap and do videos on educational / kid based uses of figures while also appealing to collectors.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Stegotyranno420

Hmm, sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of the same thing, but only the educational parts, as im not a parent. Basically i want to show the accuracy and science behind the figures, and also do the usual(paint, size, price, sculpt, etc), but mainly science.

Libraraptor

One can submit reviews for the Dinosaur Toy Blog here:

http://dinotoyblog.com/submit-a-review/

If one wants to become a reviewer on YouTube, I donĀ“t know how the process works or how to monetarize videos. It seems to be a matter of viewer numbers.

Dusty Wren

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, it would probably help your applications if you made a couple of review videos for your channel. That would give companies a better understanding of your review style, what audience you're trying to reach, what your audience engagement is like, etc. They're going to want to know all of those things before they can figure out if you're a good match for their brand, and showing them will be more effective than just telling them.

It's worth keeping in mind that companies exist to make money, so every action they take requires a cost/benefit analysis. When they send products to reviewers, they're doing it because they think that reviewer is likely to bring in more sales. You need to convince them that your reviews will do that for them, either because you reach a wide audience of dinosaur-enthusiasts or, like D @Dinoguy2 said, because you're reaching an new type of audience.

By the way, Dinoguy2, that's a really good idea. I have friends with kids who sometimes ask me about dino toys, and I just don't have enough knowledge about what makes a good kid-friendly figure (lack of pointy parts? Durability? Price?) to make recommendations. If you get some of those videos up and running, let us know; I'd be happy to have someone to link them to. 
Check out my customs thread!

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren Thanks so much. Im planning on reviewing the mojo figures i got, but i got to find a way to NOT use my voice, my voice sounds terribel. But be warned, my first reviews probably wont be the best, but i will try to improve. Thanks for being supportive so much
avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor thanks but i meant like how those youtube reviewers always get free samples, not the DTB reviews. In fact i made a (terrible ) one almost a year ago. Here:http://dinotoyblog.com/2020/03/22/giganotosaurus-mojo-fun/

Once again, thanks to all  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.