News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wren's Repaints: Paleo Sculpture Paraceratherium

Started by Dusty Wren, February 19, 2021, 01:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

I promised myself that this year I would stop thinking about repainting dino toys and actually do it, so here's my current work in progress.

I actually really liked the original colors on the Safari Deinonychus, but my figure came with some errors in the factory paint. Most notably, the reddish-brown stripe on the left side of the tail just kinda...vanished halfway up.

So this was a good candidate for my first repaint.

I primed the model with a white spray primer and blocked in the basic color plan. I'm keeping the original brown on top/white on the bottom color scheme, but it's a cooler brown and a warmer white this time. The face and feet are a mid-tone gray.

The underside got a cream-colored wash and some white drybrushing to brighten it up. I went with gray for the claws. Can we take a minute to just appreciate how good the sculpting on this toy is? Those little dromaeosaur claws poking out from under the feathers is such a nice detail.

Added some flashy white stripes to the tail.

And this is what it looks like right now. I'm happy with the basic color plan; I just need to figure out the details, like the color of the eyes. I'm thinking that the head needs some kind of extra detail to add some interest, too. Maybe white rings around the eyes?

Check out my customs thread!

Ezikot

It's a work of art, avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren, congratulations!
In my opinion, it's already set, I wouldn't add anything. About the eyes, I wouldn't paint them just black glossy, but (dark) yellow with black pupil.
(Almost every day a forum member post pictures of a beatiful repaint... how many of you are that talented?!!)

ceratopsian

It's beautiful, really like it.

I would perhaps be cautious about solid white rings round the eyes - it might look a bit harsh. But as I can't paint at all, I'm probably not the person to be handing out advice!

Dusty Wren

Thank you, everyone!

My original plan for the face markings was something like what you see on an American robin. Sort of a broken white ring around each eye. But I also like Stolpergeist's suggestion of brow spots. I might have to mock up some designs on paper before I commit to anything.

Bokisaurus

Looks good especially for your first attempt.
Glad to see you handle the paint application not heavy handed.
How about adding some colors?😃

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren You have done a very good job. Honestly, I really like dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with that muted color, for me it is the most realistic or at least the most prudent color that most dinosaurs and prehistoric animals can have since we will never know what they really were. I love the conservative colors in the figures. My congratulations.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 21, 2021, 06:40:14 PM
Honestly, I really like dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with that muted color, for me it is the most realistic or at least the most prudent color that most dinosaurs and prehistoric animals can have since we will never know what they really were. I love the conservative colors in the figures.

Thank you, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus. I tend to like muted colors on my dinos, too. I went with avatar_Ezikot @Ezikot's suggestion and gave him deep gold eyes, though, so he did get at least some color on him!

I ended up skipping the white markings on the face. I mocked up a bunch of different marking options in GIMP and didn't really like any of them, so his head is staying unmarked. He got two coats of protective varnish and then a matte spray sealant to de-shiny him.

I might need to make him a base eventually. He's prone to toppling over, and the varnish can only do so much to protect the paint. For now, though, I'm declaring him done.

Dusty Wren

The figure I was most excited about in 2020 was Papo's Megaloceros. I'm a big fan of extinct deer (if my avatar didn't give that away). Unfortunately, the seller didn't package the figure very well and the left antler snapped off in the mail. Since a similar fate may befall someone else's toy, I thought I'd do a write-up on how I repaired it.

I softened the plastic with some warm water and used pliers to insert a straight pin into the antler as deep as it would go without punching out the other side. I snipped off the pin about a quarter inch above the surface of the antler. I made a corresponding hole in the pedicle. I would have preferred to use a thicker wire (and a drill bit) for this, but I didn't have much of a flat surface on the antler side to work with.

I dabbed some E6000 glue into the concave part of the break and inserted the wire to join the pieces back together. Spoiler warning: this glue didn't work. The pieces peeled apart again during the painting process. I re-glued it with some two-part epoxy, and the repair feels a lot stronger now. Still, I think he's going to need a base. No glue in the world is going to hold this thing together if it falls off my shelf.

The pieces fit together snugly, but the join was still pretty obvious. So I made a coronet for each antler out of Apoxie Sculpt. The figure was missing this feature, anyway, and it hides the join nicely. I had some Apoxie left over, so I made him a penile sheath, after seeing this feature on paintingdinos' lovely custom Megaloceros for Loon.

Here he is, primed and ready for paint!

andrewsaurus rex

beautiful work on the Deinonychus, the eyes are beautiful.  I like conservative muted colours on dinos too.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Kapitaenosavrvs

The Deinonychus came out perfect. It almost looks a bit like its made out of Metal. Wonderful work. Looking forward to the Megaloceres. I have to say, that he already looks good with the Primer. Like he's made out of Porcelain^^ And: What a shame :-D First the Paintingerror and then the broken Antler.

Patrx

That Deinonychus is magnificent! Great work. I'm sure the Megaloceros will be lovely too :)

Dusty Wren

Thank you for the kind words, A @andrewsaurus and avatar_Patrx @Patrx. I'm just about done with the repaint on the Megaloceros, so I'll get some pictures up in a few days.

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs, I think someone could easily paint this toy to look like a vintage porcelain figure, or a bronze statue. It's got a lot of big, bold details on it, so you could fake the look of other materials with the right paint job. Making some fake bronze bookends with a pair of Megaloceros would be a pretty cool project, honestly. 

Halichoeres

Great job with the rescue. It's a bummer you got a mishandled figure, but in a way I'm glad it went to someone who could salvage it. I like the bookend idea!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2021, 08:21:44 PM
Great job with the rescue. It's a bummer you got a mishandled figure, but in a way I'm glad it went to someone who could salvage it. I like the bookend idea!

Thanks, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. I'm glad the antler seems to be staying put; my Plan B if it falls off again is to fill in the pedicle and say he's just mid-shed :))

In Deer of the World, Valerius Geist makes some predictions about Megaloceros' appearance: dark rostrum, white fur around the eyes and rhinarium and inside the ears, and a big rump patch. He also points out that a number of cursorial ungulates (like Marco Polo sheep and addaxes) have white legs and bellies, and since Megaloceros was a cursorial deer, it may have had a similar coloration. I'm not following Geist's interpretation to the letter, but I did use it as a starting point. Of course, I kept the cave paintings in mind, too.

Some close ups:

And one work in progress shot. I called this the blonde roast stage. I kinda liked the way he looked at this point; it reminded me of Ken Walker's taxidermy Megaloceros.

Shonisaurus

Nice representation in painting of the megaloceros of Papo has been more realistic and the details of the painting much superior. My congratulations on your repainting has been great.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Wow, this came out spectacular. Well done! Your Paintskills are superb. * looks at every mm of the Picures with his eys, to steal skill *

Dusty Wren

Thanks so much, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus and avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs! Really happy with how the Megaloceros turned out, and glad you like him, too.

Hopefully I'll get another custom posted in this thread before the weekend. I finished repainting the CollectA Kamuysaurus, but it's been pouring all week and the humidity wrecks havoc on my spray fixative. Here's hoping for better weather tomorrow.

Bokisaurus

Wry nice modifications and fix on this figure.
I love the repaint, really brings out so much of the details and really makes the figure eye catching, good job!😃 nice blending of colors, too.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.