News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Designing my very own models - Advice?

Started by bismarck, June 25, 2021, 11:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bismarck

Hey everyone,

So I want to design and produce my very own models. Not exactly for commercial purposes, just for my very own enjoyment and part of my own pursuit of the passion I have for dinosaur models and collecting in general.

So I'm looking to design a model along the lines and quality of Nanmu, PNSO or Rebor (perhaps not that good!) but certainly would aim for quality and accuracy to be of utmost importance. A resin model (or similar high-quality material), heavily detailed, and what they call "museum quality", a "display piece, not a toy", is what I envisage.

I am currently in the process of designing a few different models, after that I would be hoping to find someone/ some studio that would be able to produce it for me! It is quite a small-scale project, not looking to start a company or anything, as in only one of each, so costs won't be completely through the roof.

I understand it is not an easy process (otherwise we would have all done it by now) but I have the vision for exactly the types of models I would like to eventually see posed on my shelves. All I need is someone to kindly point me in the right direction!

I would absolutely encourage any advice you could possibly give me.  ^-^
My dream is to have a scaled figure of every single prehistoric creature I can think of. All I need to do now is learn how to design, learn how to sculpt, and learn how to paint...

Stegotyranno420

It's great to see you here, Otto Von Bismarck. Of course I will help the greatest German to ever breathe.

In seriousness, it depends on what you are looking for. A modified model, a repainted model, a 3d print, a air dry clay model, a polymer model, paper mache, knitted, stuffed, Casted.
Any specific kind?
Also nice to meet you, and enjoy your stay here my new friend

bismarck

Such a nice reply to get, thank you!

Yes, I should have clarified the type - So I'm looking to design a model along the lines and quality of Nanmu, PNSO or Rebor (perhaps not that good!) but certainly would aim for quality and accuracy to be of utmost importance. A resin model (or similar high-quality material), heavily detailed, and what they call "museum quality", a "display piece, not a toy", is what I envisage.

I am currently in the process of designing a few different models, after that I would be hoping to find someone/ some studio that would be able to produce it for me! It is quite a small-scale project, not looking to start a company or anything, as in only one of each, so costs won't be completely through the roof.

Nice to meet you too!
My dream is to have a scaled figure of every single prehistoric creature I can think of. All I need to do now is learn how to design, learn how to sculpt, and learn how to paint...

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum!

You might find this conversation from a few years ago helpful, where a master sculptor advises a novice on molding: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3126.msg88932#msg88932

And here are some tips and tricks on customization, which might be less relevant but could help when choosing color schemes, for example. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0

And if you're striving for accuracy, there's no substitute for the primary scientific literature. When you find it paywalled, let me know--I'm able to get most through my work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bismarck

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 26, 2021, 12:17:52 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You might find this conversation from a few years ago helpful, where a master sculptor advises a novice on molding: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3126.msg88932#msg88932

And here are some tips and tricks on customization, which might be less relevant but could help when choosing color schemes, for example. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0

And if you're striving for accuracy, there's no substitute for the primary scientific literature. When you find it paywalled, let me know--I'm able to get most through my work.

Thanks very much! I would be more inclined to focus on the vision for and designing of the model, and I hope to find a professional / freelancer to actually make the finished product (I am more than happy and willing to pay for the service, by the way).

Dusty Wren

It sounds like you're interested in commissioning an artist to create a piece for you. Is that right?

You'll need to find an artist who's doing the kind of work you want and who is currently accepting commissions. Most independent artists advertise open commission slots on social media, so start following people on Twitter and Instagram and keep an eye out for announcements. I know Ansley McDaniel routinely takes commissions for sculptures, and Vitor-Silva occasionally does as well. I think Sarah Whelan used to take commissions, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

When you talk to artists, just be polite and ask if they're available for commission work. If they say no, just thank them and move on. It'll probably take a while to find someone who's available, because sculpting is a specialized skill set and these artists tend to get a lot of messages. 
Check out my customs thread!

Takama

I can highly recomend Ansley Mcdanial, as I was referd to  her by Sarah Whelan who indeed is not taking commisions at this time.

I have a Gastonia i commisioned Ansley that i keep neglecting to show off on this forum, but it is unique.

bismarck

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 26, 2021, 01:08:53 AM
It sounds like you're interested in commissioning an artist to create a piece for you. Is that right?

You'll need to find an artist who's doing the kind of work you want and who is currently accepting commissions. Most independent artists advertise open commission slots on social media, so start following people on Twitter and Instagram and keep an eye out for announcements. I know Ansley McDaniel routinely takes commissions for sculptures, and Vitor-Silva occasionally does as well. I think Sarah Whelan used to take commissions, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

When you talk to artists, just be polite and ask if they're available for commission work. If they say no, just thank them and move on. It'll probably take a while to find someone who's available, because sculpting is a specialized skill set and these artists tend to get a lot of messages.

Thank you very much, I'll certainly have a look at the artists you mentioned. I'll find someone eventually!

bismarck

Quote from: Takama on June 26, 2021, 04:33:43 AM
I can highly recomend Ansley Mcdanial, as I was referd to  her by Sarah Whelan who indeed is not taking commisions at this time.

I have a Gastonia i commisioned Ansley that i keep neglecting to show off on this forum, but it is unique.

Had a look at the insta page of Ansley McDanial, can confirm her work looks amazing!

Halichoeres

Oh, I definitely misconstrued what you meant by "design." My mistake!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bismarck

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 28, 2021, 01:20:38 AM
Oh, I definitely misconstrued what you meant by "design." My mistake!

I think I did too lol... I should just rephrase it as "envisage" or "hope to achieve"!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.