News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

ABC News Looking for Dinosaur collectors

Started by dkloeffler, February 25, 2014, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 26, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
No offense, but I can't believe people are making an issue out of this. It's obvious what the guy is asking for.

so agree. the person just wanted someone to interview for a tv feature. i dont think he's interested and here to debate about birds as dinosaurs blah blah
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Pawnosuchus

Georassic

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 25, 2014, 07:27:07 PM
Quote from: Georassic on February 25, 2014, 06:25:25 PM
I've worked with news media for much of my career. If it's for a TV story, they need something visual for video. A nice dino-collection would be an easy way to show the diversity of dinosaurs, and I'm sure they'd hope to interview a collector who would gush enthusiastically about what it would be like to see them alive.
That's my educated guess. If I lived in the NY area, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

They may be willing to travel out to you so you should at least express an interest, you never know :)

I doubt they would travel to the UK and my collection isn't very big anyway. ;)

two thousand miles is a long way to travel for my piddling collection, as well. :) But if anyone wants tips for talking to the media, I'm your guy. :)

Georassic

Quote from: Gwangi on February 25, 2014, 08:34:25 PM
I live in New York but not NYC, I'm about four hours upstate. That said, my collection is not among the most impressive here.

I thought of you, Gwangi, but four hours is a little far for some b-roll. But you never know.

Gwangi

Quote from: Georassic on February 26, 2014, 09:11:42 PM
I live in New York but not NYC, I'm about four hours upstate. That said, my collection is not among the most impressive here.

I thought of you, Gwangi, but four hours is a little far for some b-roll. But you never know.

I'm certainly open to the idea. Whereas I have a shelf of dinosaurs I know there are members here with walls...rooms even, of dinosaurs and I'm sure that is more what he is looking for.

Pawnosuchus

I'm in the suburbs of Philly, so at least it's not across country.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on February 26, 2014, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: Georassic on February 26, 2014, 09:11:42 PM

I'm certainly open to the idea. Whereas I have a shelf of dinosaurs I know there are members here with walls...rooms even, of dinosaurs and I'm sure that is more what he is looking for.

Yeah, but I doubt he'd come all the way to western Canada for filler segments! :P

Crackington

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on February 26, 2014, 10:49:18 PM
I'm in the suburbs of Philly, so at least it's not across country.

He could do a lot worse than showing your fabulous garage collection, Pawn!

Does anyone know if he's gone ahead and actually contacted anyone? Hope he hasn't been frightened off!

Pawnosuchus

Thanks Crack,
I haven't heard of him contacting anyone yet.

Libraraptor

At least we are back on the track of answering the journalist´s demand again. It was embarrassing watching some of the very first reactions to his question, I must admit.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 01, 2014, 09:32:05 PM
At least we are back on the track of answering the journalist´s demand again. It was embarrassing watching some of the very first reactions to his question, I must admit.

I agree :)) It was almost unwelcoming, and may have cost a collector to showcase his/her collection  ;)

CityRaptor

Okay, I'm sorry.  It was not meant to sound rude or something like that. 
And yes, I think I was looking to deeply into it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2014, 12:32:32 AM
Okay, I'm sorry.  It was not meant to sound rude or something like that.

Thanks for the apology. I agree that it was an unwarranted response to an honest and very interesting enquiry. I hope it didn't put the original poster off, spoil any opportunities, or do any damage to our reputation as a community :-\

CityRaptor

Oh great, now I feel even worse.
But if that reporter is really interested, he should not get discouraged that easily.
Oh no

Libraraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2014, 12:54:41 AM
Oh great, now I feel even worse.
But if that reporter is really interested, he should not get discouraged that easily.

He is most probably professional enough to tell between first impulse answers and real interest in working with him. I guess behind the scenes he even already pm´d with some of the collectors.
I was a little annoyed about the request turning into a dinosaur/bird-discussion...
Don´t worry too much about it, CityRaptor :)

Pawnosuchus

I just read a short article on Yahoo news which this gentleman was credited with contributing to. It was about what the world would be like if dinosaurs had survived. apparently he has given up on interviewing any collectors.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Ooops, my bad....maybe.

Anyways, here is the whole thing. Seems like he atleast asked a paleontologist, like I suggested.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-if-abc-news/t-rex-taste-chicken-181251727.html
Sadly the video is not available for my region.
Oh no

Georassic

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 10, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
Anyways, here is the whole thing. Seems like he atleast asked a paleontologist, like I suggested.

Cute story. The reporter used model dinos as clever props.
I had the pleasure of interviewing with the Smithsonian director, Kirk Johnson, several years ago when he was curator or director at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and I was in the running for a public relations job there. I didn't get the job, but he was a fun guy to spend an hour with. We spent more time talking about dinosaurs than about my possible job.  ;D

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 10, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
Ooops, my bad....maybe.

If you use Chrome, find a program called Hola. Problem solved.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: