News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

ABC News Looking for Dinosaur collectors

Started by dkloeffler, February 25, 2014, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkloeffler

Hello - I'm a journalist with ABC News, working on a story about what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed. I'm looking to interview someone with an impressive dinosaur collection that lives relatively close to New York City or Washington D.C.
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler

CityRaptor

Shouldn't you ask someone who has a lot of living birds then? Afterall, Birds are living Dinosaurs.
Or maybe a Paleontologist.

Also, if non-avian Dinosaurs still existed, there wouldn't be humans.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 25, 2014, 04:07:47 PM
Shouldn't you ask someone who has a lot of living birds then? Afterall, Birds are living Dinosaurs.
Or maybe a Paleontologist.

Also, if non-avian Dinosaurs still existed, there wouldn't be humans.

??? I think you may have misunderstood. It sounds like they want to interview someone with a large collection of dinosaur figures (as opposed to bones), in which case, they have come to the right place!  8) Perhaps the original poster can clarify? If it is bones you are after then a museum is your best bet.

CityRaptor

I understood that part about large collections. But  this part:
Quote from: dkloeffler on February 25, 2014, 03:32:10 PM
working on a story about what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed.
makes me think that Mr. Kloeffler better asks someone else. A large Dinosaur collection does not reflect real life, afterall.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Probably wants to play up a popularity angle first, talk about why dinosaurs capture the imagination so.  If he were closer to us in TN I'd certainly show him a collection.. ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 25, 2014, 04:48:36 PM
I understood that part about large collections. But  this part:
working on a story about what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed.
makes me think that Mr. Kloeffler better asks someone else. A large Dinosaur collection does not reflect real life, afterall.
I think you're looking too deeply into it. He is referring to what the general public think of as dinosaurs, such as Apatosaurus and Tyrannosaurus.

Georassic

I've worked with news media for much of my career. If it's for a TV story, they need something visual for video. A nice dino-collection would be an easy way to show the diversity of dinosaurs, and I'm sure they'd hope to interview a collector who would gush enthusiastically about what it would be like to see them alive.
That's my educated guess. If I lived in the NY area, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Georassic on February 25, 2014, 06:25:25 PM
I've worked with news media for much of my career. If it's for a TV story, they need something visual for video. A nice dino-collection would be an easy way to show the diversity of dinosaurs, and I'm sure they'd hope to interview a collector who would gush enthusiastically about what it would be like to see them alive.
That's my educated guess. If I lived in the NY area, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

They may be willing to travel out to you so you should at least express an interest, you never know :)

I doubt they would travel to the UK and my collection isn't very big anyway. ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Given the almost studio level photography of many of the members, one could almost persuade the fellow to interview someone via the phone and then be sent enough photographs to accompany the piece perhaps.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I live in New York but not NYC, I'm about four hours upstate. That said, my collection is not among the most impressive here.

Everything_Dinosaur

Not to worry, after all, the word dinosaur was coined first by an Englishman.  We get a couple of enquiries like this a year, a need from various production companies, theatre companies and such like to depict prehistoric animals and dinosaur models for various reasons.  In this age of YouTube, there is nothing to stop you from making your own video of your dinosaur collection, I am sure fellow dinosaur model collectors would appreciate your efforts.

Yutyrannus

Hello - I'm a journalist with ABC News, working on a story about what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed. I'm looking to interview someone with an impressive dinosaur collection that lives relatively close to New York City or Washington D.C.
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler
Wait a minute, if dinosaurs still existed. Last time I checked birds were still around ;).

Anyway, I agree with CityRaptor. You should be looking for someone with a lot of living dinosaurs (birds) rather than someone with an impressive dinosaur figure collection.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 26, 2014, 12:03:45 AM
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler
Wait a minute, if dinosaurs still existed. Last time I checked birds were still around ;).

Anyway, I agree with CityRaptor. You should be looking for someone with a lot of living dinosaurs (birds) rather than someone with an impressive dinosaur figure collection.

I think you guys are both missing the point here. He wants to interview a non-avian dinosaur enthusiast, not a bird enthusiast. Those two are not one in the same. How many people with an interest in birds are also interested in dinosaurs? Most bird keepers and bird watchers could care less about non-avian dinosaurs...they like birds for birds. Besides, anyone he interviews that is seriously interested in dinosaurs would no doubt bring up modern birds being their decedents.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on February 26, 2014, 02:23:15 AM
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler

I think you guys are both missing the point here. He wants to interview a non-avian dinosaur enthusiast, not a bird enthusiast. Those two are not one in the same. How many people with an interest in birds are also interested in dinosaurs? Most bird keepers and bird watchers could care less about non-avian dinosaurs...they like birds for birds. Besides, anyone he interviews that is seriously interested in dinosaurs would no doubt bring up modern birds being their decedents.
But the thing is they're not dinosaur descendants, they are dinosaurs. And he said he wants to know how non-avian dinosaurs would've acted when they were still alive, obviously birds are the best candidate for this.

SBell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 26, 2014, 02:31:19 AM
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler

But the thing is they're not dinosaur descendants, they are dinosaurs. And he said he wants to know how non-avian dinosaurs would've acted when they were still alive, obviously birds are the best candidate for this.

He never said that. He wants to talk about how dinosaurs would act if they were still alive. In public parlance, that means the non-avian ones. And modern birds are as useful an analogue as using rhinos to describe the behaviour of all fossil synapisds. Just because they are all part of the same clade in some way doesn't mean they are useful for comparative purposes.

Dinosaurs, like all animals, would be products of their own environments, evolution and morphology, and would act in a modern context accordingly.

Gwangi

Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler

I know they're dinosaurs, that also makes them dinosaur descendants. They couldn't be dinosaurs if they weren't descended from them.  ::) And he didn't say he wanted to know how they behaved, he said "what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed". Despite birds being dinosaurs you can clearly see that non-avian dinosaurs are his interest for this piece. A life among Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops and Apatosaurus would be a bit different from life with chickens, hummingbirds and blue jays.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on February 26, 2014, 02:40:41 AM
Thank you!
Dan Kloeffler

I know they're dinosaurs, that also makes them dinosaur descendants. They couldn't be dinosaurs if they weren't descended from them.  ::) And he didn't say he wanted to know how they behaved, he said "what life might be like if dinosaurs still existed". Despite birds being dinosaurs you can clearly see that non-avian dinosaurs are his interest for this piece. A life among Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops and Apatosaurus would be a bit different from life with chickens, hummingbirds and blue jays.
True, but the way you said it it sounded like you meant that they're dinosaur descendants the same way reptiles are descendants of amphibians. I see now that is not what you meant.

EmperorDinobot

Ohhh, shame, I live on the West Coast and I have a very very large dinosaur collection.

Invicta Hunter

If i remember correctly wasn't there someone asking for the same thing about a year ago, is this the same guy?

tyrantqueen

No offense, but I can't believe people are making an issue out of this. It's obvious what the guy is asking for.

QuoteI'm looking to interview someone with an impressive dinosaur collection

Most people call birds birds. If he wanted to see someone's aviary he would have said so, and probably visited a birdkeeper's forum or something.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: