News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotales Display Case

Started by DinoLord, October 05, 2014, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I live alone so I have no issues with little hands, and my cat is fairly well behaved. Aside from that I have learned even with glass doors things will and do collect dust, just slows down the rate is all. For me it was not worth the additional cost, rather spend that collecting more dinosaurs. Then again given the amount of bones and fossils and what not if  I tried getting it all in glasss I would be out of house and home.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

are there display cases available out there that are completely dust proof?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2014, 06:19:19 AM
There are cases built on some airplanes with such tight tolerances that virtually no dust can enter, but they are quite expensive. Most general display cases offered are with such wide tolerances that dust can enter easily
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Seijun

Quote from: DinoLord on October 06, 2014, 03:23:53 AM
Seijun those are great; thanks for the link! If only they had larger sizes. I'll probably get at least a few anyways.

Do those have enough width to allow for more than three figures per row?

You might be able to fit 4 at most.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

I have also gotten display cases from this seller
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woodgoodsby-don?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
They take custom orders.

And I have considered using cases for model trains and cars. Like this
http://www.amazon.com/Display-Cabinet-Protection-Lockable-Cherry/dp/B001CSNZQU
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Alexxitator

Have been pondering on the same subject. Ikea no longer carries the aforementioned display cases, but does have this series:
http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/00282250/
Or if the link does not work in your country, try looking for the Nornäs series on their site.
I was thinking that if you put a log in the back of the shelf to create different heights? Could work I think.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 06, 2014, 06:36:31 AM
Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2014, 06:19:19 AM
There are cases built on some airplanes with such tight tolerances that virtually no dust can enter, but they are quite expensive. Most general display cases offered are with such wide tolerances that dust can enter easily

You would have to seal the door somehow, as with weather stripping. Because if there's a weak point--like a door--there is going to be some space for dust to enter.

And sadly those NORNÄSdo not appear available in Canada. But at least it appears they will keep making some sort of case.

I think the reason I prefer the IKEA type ones is that they are furniture, so the room looks furnished, rather than using storage boxes. But the, I have spent 15 years trying to find something that works. And hopefully I don't move again...

stargatedalek

if you are looking for things in Canada;
-Michaels art and crafts has some very interesting glass display boxes, prices are as one would expect from Michaels but theres always those monthly 40% off coupons ;)
-a couple liquidation centers around here have glass display cabinets from various businesses, and theres still an influx from the Zellers/Target takeover, if you scout around it shouldn't be to hard to find some

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2014, 10:52:48 PM
if you are looking for things in Canada;
-Michaels art and crafts has some very interesting glass display boxes, prices are as one would expect from Michaels but theres always those monthly 40% off coupons ;)
-a couple liquidation centers around here have glass display cabinets from various businesses, and theres still an influx from the Zellers/Target takeover, if you scout around it shouldn't be to hard to find some

If you've seen my collection photos, you would realize that I am beyond mere 'cases'.  :P I use furniture. Because it's the only thing large enough.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.