News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotales Display Case

Started by DinoLord, October 05, 2014, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

As I near the end of my Dinotales collecting days (141 in my possession and 56 on their way), I want to find some display cases for them to ward off dust (which is not too bad on them compared to larger figures but still deposits). Considering that I will have ~200 of these when all is said and done, what are some good cases people have used for display? I would not mind breaking up the collection but would like to keep at least each series together. The closest I have found are the cases people use for displaying toy cars/trains, but the dimensions on these are oftentimes a bit iffy.

SBell

I use these for almost all of my displays:

They are from IKEA, but they are apparently no longer produced. At the very least, the light 'wood colour' is not, nor are the big, aluminum-frame doors.

I would suggest seeing what they currently have at IKEA--these shelves are 7" wide, which is a good depth for small figures. There are/were deeper ones as well, and taller ones, so it would be possible to create a separate shelf for each series.

The rest of the displays are here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1985.20 to give and idea of how they can work; I think the same shelving series is still in different colours.

DinoLord

Very nice! I will have to check out a local Ikea one of these days. I noticed in your other collection photos you have some tiers/platforms on these shelves - what are you using for those? The acrylic tiers I've attempted to use in the past were not completely flat which led to figures falling down frequently.

SBell

I need to re-do photos of my shelves, as I've completely reorganized yet again.

As for the tiers, it's a matter of finding stores that have them--sometimes they can be ordered online as well, but can be pricey.

My newest incarnations will show my latest stands.

DinoLord

Would Ikea have those as well? What are they usually sold as?

SBell

Quote from: DinoLord on October 05, 2014, 09:22:39 PM

They don't. I found mine at various general-store type places (the acrylic 3-tiers). The white ones are from household goods stores.

Currently, the ones I tend to find are single-step acrylic organizers. It took a while, but I finally found some that are square at ever corner, and nice and flat.

This is a picture of a small one:

There are different sizes, and they work well for arranging depending on what I'm trying to with the display. Like I said, sooner or later I'll get photos up.

DinoLord

The acrylic organizers look great; I'll have to track some of those down.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: SBell on October 05, 2014, 11:08:23 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on October 05, 2014, 09:22:39 PM

They don't. I found mine at various general-store type places (the acrylic 3-tiers). The white ones are from household goods stores.

Currently, the ones I tend to find are single-step acrylic organizers. It took a while, but I finally found some that are square at ever corner, and nice and flat.

This is a picture of a small one:

There are different sizes, and they work well for arranging depending on what I'm trying to with the display. Like I said, sooner or later I'll get photos up.

That one fish is HUGE!!
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

amargasaurus cazaui

pssst Dinolord....visit ebay and type in ball cube holder, or golf ball holder, etc. Also Specimen container...plastic specimen holder, etc. They make a whole world of small cubes, squares, and various shapes for holding collectibles, minerals and fossils, as well as various autographed sports items. I use them almost exclusively to display fossils, etc, inside, but they also make great bases.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

Hm, something like a model train display case with taller shelves might work...

amargasaurus cazaui

My shelf for dinotales is nothing more than an open fronted media tower for hlding CD's and DVD's...I use the different levels to sort mammals from dinosaurs from skeletons and pterosaurs , etc
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

Interesting, that could work. However I was hoping for something enclosed by plastic/glass to prevent dust - that's my main reason for looking for a display.

tyrantqueen

DinoLord

Interesting - would you get tiers to go inside?

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

DinoLord

I figure I spent a lot of effort and had a lot of luck to get these figures, so might as well keep them in pristine shape.

Seijun

http://www.tedpella.com/storage-boxes-bags_html/styrene-boxes.htm#139-212

I use those, specifically the one with 6 compartments (#139-606). I drill two small holes in the back and mount them on the wall with nails.

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoLord

Seijun those are great; thanks for the link! If only they had larger sizes. I'll probably get at least a few anyways.

Do those have enough width to allow for more than three figures per row?

docronnie

Great topic!   :)

Thanks Seijun for sharing!  :)

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

SBell

Quote from: DinoLord on October 06, 2014, 12:58:13 AM
I figure I spent a lot of effort and had a lot of luck to get these figures, so might as well keep them in pristine shape.

That's why I went all out with my current office/collections room.  Everything, with a few exceptions, is behind glass. I never need to dust, everything is safe if it falls over, and it avoids extra zealous visitors from just grabbing things when I'm showing off (the room can be locked, but the kids know that no one outside the family without me or my wife there--I trust the kids, they know better--and that it's their inheritance someday!).

The whole set up cost...enough. But it looks uniform, and the quality is consistent. I would probably have bought a few more if I knew they were being discontinued, since I know I won't be stopping anytime time soon!

As I infer from what you say, I've invested a lot in these figures, I might as well protect them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: