News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

stars dios

Started by stargatedalek, July 05, 2014, 06:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I figured this was my time to show my process for the diorama contest, mine was #3.

I really wanted to set up a proper table top diorama this year, it just seemed like it would be a fun and new experience, but alas I had to confess to myself that I just didn't have the space. I explored quite a few different directions this year:

- but I decided I wanted to use figures that I'd repainted. You'll notice most of these photos I posted already, these were test shots that I ended up being rather fond of. I considered a few different options, everything from using an iguana as Barbaturex to the Carnegie Caudipteryx, and I settled on the Carnegie Microraptor.

But I ended up taking more photos of it than I knew what to do with! As for its co-star, I originally planed to have it alongside an original Microraptor as a leucistic, but I decided on this little AAA preying mantis, also repainted.

These were the accompanying photos of the finale choice.

And this was the one I decided on at the end.

Gwangi

Nicely done, I really like the repainted Microraptor.

stargatedalek

Thanks, I really love the sculpt, especially the inclusion of the ever so forgotten alula! (Even though the original palette made it look like a fourth claw).

stargatedalek

Well no crabs yet, but I got my tank set up. I want to keep it set up for a few weeks to make sure I have everything I need to keep temperature and humidity where it should be. In the meantime enjoy me screwing around some proof of concept shots ;)

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 30, 2015, 03:16:26 PM
Well no crabs yet, but I got my tank set up. I want to keep it set up for a few weeks to make sure I have everything I need to keep temperature and humidity where it should be. In the meantime enjoy me screwing around some proof of concept shots ;)

Do you have your crabs yet?

stargatedalek

Actually I don't, I've been waiting on a shipment of aquarium salt to arrive for several weeks now.

Dilopho

Do you have them now?  :-\  ???

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dilopho on October 06, 2016, 07:44:45 PM
For quite a few months now actually.

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2016, 09:19:27 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on October 06, 2016, 07:44:45 PM
For quite a few months now actually.
D'oh! I didn't know!

Is.....is it kind of weird I was waiting for them to arrive at your house? I just really love crabs....they are adorable!  :D

Jose S.M.

The tank is awesome! I hope the crabs are doing great.

stargatedalek

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the crabs didn't do so well at first, one of them didn't last more than a few days presumably from the stress of moving, and another fell ill in a heat wave back in July (I know, tropical animals dying from Canadian heatwaves, shameful), but the largest has molted twice now and is doing well. I've been keeping an eye out for an appropriately sized tank-mate but our number of pet stores is about one third what it was before Pets Unlimited went under.

Lanthanotus

I have no personal experience with keeping those crabs, but a friend keeps several species since years and while breeding has not occured (but is also very very complicated and difficult as the eggs and larvae need tide and seawater to develop) the husbandry is very successfull. It not only relies on the right parameters in climate and nutrition, but also on a very thick (30 cm in that case) substrate that allows the crabs to totally dig in which they frequently do when temperatures are too high (Germany gets heatwaves too now and then) as the thick and moist substrate will not heat up as much and stay comparably cool. It may even be that the crabs are sensitive to barometric pressure as they may dig up in advance to untolerable climate changes.

Derek.McManus

Some of the outdoor pictures are superb especially those with the water, I like the idea of a backyard river! Good luck with your crabs!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.