News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What could this be?

Started by Hynerpeton, August 11, 2014, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

That is certainly a cat judging by the way it walks.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Seijun

Quote from: Gwangi on August 13, 2014, 10:49:06 PM
Quote from: Seijun on August 13, 2014, 05:41:54 AM
Here are better pictures and even video http://ktla.com/2014/08/01/norwalk-mystery-animal-is-no-mountain-lion-but-what-is-it/
It looks more lion-like here, but the short tail, and the fact that "released pet lion" incidents are virtually unheard of in the states, leads me to still suspect dog. In every instance that I know of where a non-native big cat was released or escaped, its always been found out immediately because lions and tigers never seem too keen on hiding, lol.

But they do happen. Case in point, 2002 Arkansas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lion-scare-has-arkansas-town-on-edge/

It can happen, but like I said, it is extremely rare. People mistaking common dogs and cats for Big Cats is far more common.

In the Arkansas incident, it was a very rural area, yet all 4 animals were found and killed within a week. Like I said, escaped or released big cats are not very good at hiding. I would be very skeptical that in such a dense area like LA, an African lion or any other domestically raised big cat could remain hidden for so long. Unlike a wild animal, a human raised Big Cat has very little incentive to remain hidden from anyone, and would be spotted as soon as it came out to drink, sunbathe, or eat someone's pet.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Quote from: Seijun on August 14, 2014, 12:06:31 AM
It can happen, but like I said, it is extremely rare. People mistaking common dogs and cats for Big Cats is far more common.

I would hope it would be rare! Any other time I would side with you on this debate and while I am not personally convinced it is an African lion a lot of other people far more knowledgeable than I think it is. That is all I was reporting. What I do feel confident about is that this is a big cat and not a dog.

Hynerpeton

Yup not a dog i can agree on that.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

SpittersForEver

In my opinion it is most defiantly an escaped animal possibly an exotic pet or maybe even a circus animal?
Speaking of exotic pets I once saw a wolf dog hybrid  on a lead in America. (well it was 85% timber wolf, 15% husky)

Seijun

There are a lot of wolfdogs in the states. They are awesome animals though :)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Seijun on August 14, 2014, 07:17:06 PM

Never heard of em. Lol
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Seijun on August 14, 2014, 07:17:06 PM
Yes, they are cool!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SpittersForEver

Gwangi

Listened to a new Monster Talk episode that discussed this animal. Long story short, it's a dog but it's not completely our faults for thinking it was a cat. For starters, the footage we all saw was taken at half the actual speed the animal was traveling at.

Listen to it, it's only 15 minutes long and very insightful.
http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/14/09/10/

Seijun

Well that explains a lot, lol
Here is a video comparing the two speeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2OZGa2H_8

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.