News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Barillium dawsoni & Huxleysaurus hollingtoniensis

Started by Blackdanter, October 22, 2014, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

Afternoon folks.

If anyone has any access to skeletal reconstruction drawings for these two dinosaurs I'd appreciate being directed to it.

I've been commissioned to produce a display life reconstruction model for one or possibly both animals (my choice) for a local venue. I have access to a lot of material locally and at the NHM for this but too much is always better than too little. The model(s) need to be around two feet in length and I'm not restricted to specific scale issues.

I'm not looking for artwork or artists interpretations just the basic scientific skeletals. Hopefully, I can crack on as soon as possible, get the job done and post pictures of the finished model(s) in situ.

Thanks  ;)

leidy

I don't think you'll find actual skeletals.  If you want to be accurate, you'll probably have to do your own homework there. 

I don't see much point in reconstructing dinosaurs like that.  It takes a lot of careful effort, and a relatively minor scaling error can change the proportions quite dramatically.   You're going to end up with something that just looks like a generic iguanodont anyway.  The lazy approach is to just do a generic iguanodont.  Most people aren't going to notice any way.

There's a lot of subtle differences between the varieties of iguanodont.  It'll help to compare and contrast them so you have an idea which direction to go in and which direction to not go in.  If it's supposed to be Mantellisaurus, ideally an educated eye could distinguish it from Dollodon.

According to Wikipedia(as good a place to start as any), Barilium differed from its contemporary Hypselospinus:
QuoteBarilium is separated from Hypselospinus on the basis of vertebral and pelvic characters, size, and build.[6] For example, Barilium was more robust than Hypselospinus, with large Camptosaurus-like vertebrae featuring short neural spines, whereas Hypselospinus is known for its "long, narrow, and steeply inclined neural spines".[7]

There's a skeletal of Hypselospinus at this link.

Can't say how accurate it is, but you could use that as a starting point and make a more robust version, and see how individual fossils would change that silhouette.

If you google imagesearched, you probably came across this attributed to Barilium:
https://twitter.com/NHMdinolab/status/497707313789419520/photo/1

Another option might be to contact David Norman and ask him about it.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.