News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T

Monolith found on Mars

Started by Tylosaurus, April 12, 2012, 06:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Here it all people :)
http://news.yahoo.com/monolith-object-mars-could-call-214004772.html

"Amateur stargazers have discovered an intriguing object jutting out from the surface of Mars. The seemingly perfectly rectangular, upright structure, found in NASA images of the Red Planet, bears a striking resemblance to the monoliths planted on Earth and the moon by aliens in the classic sci-fi film "2001: A Space Odyssey."

DinoFan45

Weird...and maybe expected? Not from the series, but a weird anomalie has been found.
"Life will find a way."

SBell

And what does it look like from the other side? Things like this are rarely what they appear--especially in a 2-dimensional photograph with no really good sense of scale/proportion around it.  The eye and mind will over-estimate size and also try and find patterns rather than randomness.

stoneage

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on April 12, 2012, 10:58:05 PM
It's just a rock!

Yeah, that's what I was getting at--but just like 'faces' people always want to see something more... ;)

Tylosaurus

Yer you lads have a point, yet I thought it would be interesting to post, it does look vertical, but if you read this:

"When your resolution is too low to fully resolve an object, it tends to look rectangular because the pixels in the image are squares. Any curve will look like a series of straight lines if you reduce your resolution enough"

That being said, it could be anything, since the photo isn't sharp enough to prove anything 8)

EmperorDinobot

I'm not overly shocked or worried. Humans see what they wanna see. There are countless 'funny' structures all across the solar system. 'Things that look like things' as defined by our human perception.

IT WOULD BE COOL HOWEVER if it was of extraterrestrial and archaeological significance!

Lio99

I do believe there is life out there.
The universe is so big!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.