News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is everyone's opinion on Smok wawelski

Started by Takama, December 04, 2014, 10:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

This is a Creture i found to be very intresting, and i decided to commision it sometime.  However, i would like to know everyones opinion on what kind of creature it was.

Im hoping it turns out to be a dinosaur, but it shows traits of different Archosaurs, so it makes it difficult to establish on what it is.

brandem

I like it, had been planning to do it in 1:20 sometime

stargatedalek

triceratops83

Looks more like a Herrerasaur type rather than a Rauisuchian. Superficially, anyway.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

In my opinion, Smok has very long legs. From an amateur observation of the Wikipedia page for it, it appears to be very mismatched: it has one of the defining characteristics of rauisuchians, some shared traits with theropods, but ultimately may be a primitive archosauromorph. Only time will tell.

Sim

Quote from: Manatee on December 07, 2014, 01:28:09 PM
In my opinion, Smok has very long legs.
Almost all of its lower leg is unknown, so unless I've missed something we currently don't know how long or short its legs are.  It's a very interesting animal!

Neon-Allo

I kind of regard Smok as a Orthosuchid, but I wouldn't doubt that it could be some sort of therapies, maybe a Herrerasauroid. ;)

Manatee

Quote from: Sim on December 07, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
Almost all of its lower leg is unknown, so unless I've missed something we currently don't know how long or short its legs are.  It's a very interesting animal!
Oh, ok. I was going by the Wikipedia skeletal as I know practically nothing about the animal... silly me!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Neon-Allo on December 07, 2014, 09:34:32 PM
it could be some sort of therapies, maybe a Herrerasauroid. ;)
Autocorrect?   :o

I see the upper portions of the skull is among the missing elements, this reminds me of spinosaurus before the recent studies as far as material goes.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

Quote from: Manatee on December 08, 2014, 12:12:57 AM
Quote from: Sim on December 07, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
Oh, ok. I was going by the Wikipedia skeletal as I know practically nothing about the animal... silly me!

This one?  The only parts of Smok which are known are the parts shown in white.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 08, 2014, 01:17:33 AM
I see the upper portions of the skull is among the missing elements, this reminds me of spinosaurus before the recent studies as far as material goes.
Smok reminded me of Spinosaurus too, but due to the length of its legs being unknown.  Recent discoveries of Spinosaurus and Deinocheirus have given us a much better idea of how they look which has made me think of another giant theropod which is quite popular, and is often made into a figure, despite being known from very incomplete remains - Therizinosaurus!  I wonder what surprises more fossils of Therizinosaurus and Smok have in store for us!