You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossils Found Behind a New Jersey Mall

Started by TJ_Terrorsaur, November 18, 2014, 01:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

A stones throw away from a New Jersey mall palaeontologists are digging up what could be a treasure trove of fossils, that contains animals that when a meteorite stuck the planet.  http://news.yahoo.com/paleontologist-dinosaur-new-jersey-strip-mall-extinction-165632314.html

DinoLord

Late Cretaceous marine fossils are very common in South NJ, but sites like this one with remains more substantial than teeth are rather rare. Too bad it's on the opposite end of the state from me!

alexeratops

Wow, this looks like it could be some issue for the fight for space, between the mall and the dig site. Otherwise, this is a very great find! :))
like a bantha!

laticauda

It will be interesting to see what they find.  of course, who ever owns the site, I wonder what their reaction will be. 

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: DinoLord on November 18, 2014, 01:38:47 AM
Late Cretaceous marine fossils are very common in South NJ, but sites like this one with remains more substantial than teeth are rather rare. Too bad it's on the opposite end of the state from me!
Neat I didn't know that about these types of dig sites. :D We have a few mammoth dig sites in my state but never something this huge...at least that I knew of.
I know right? I'm in Texas and I'd love to be able to take a vacation to New Jersey just for the sake of visiting that dig site.

Quote from: alexeratops on November 18, 2014, 01:41:58 AM
Wow, this looks like it could be some issue for the fight for space, between the mall and the dig site. Otherwise, this is a very great find! :))
I thought of that too right after reading the article. I can see it happening when the Visitor's Center is made, and if the dig site needs to expand (I'm not sure how or if they do I'm a bit rusty on that subject). But I mean it is just one strip mall right? This is a major find and who knows how many fossils could be under or near the very malls and stores we shop at.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.