News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hunting Behaviour in Deinonychosaurs

Started by Balaur, December 12, 2014, 10:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

I've become interested recently in this topic. I was wondering, what type of pack hunting would we see? Like a wolf pack, or more like komodo dragons? Also, what would the biggest prey be that it hunted? Probably did not hunt anything near the size of a hadrosaur, and also is it possible that some dromaeosaurs would have been possibly omnivorous?

stargatedalek

they probably would have been highly social, whether this was in the sort of wolf hierarchical way or something more equivalent to parrots or seabirds in unknown, but definitely more cohesive than monitors, that's not to say they were dog piling on large herbivores, which is highly unlikely, but they almost certainly hunted cohesively

the largest prey would most likely have been something their own size or smaller, most seem to be built as ambush leapers, pinning their prey to the ground and balancing on top of it with their wings

I've never heard anything for omnivory, I wouldn't rule it out completely but I'd say omnivory as a staple diet was unlikely, especially not leaves

Arul

A want to ask  :) how do we know if there is dinosaur hunt in a group ? Aand komodo hunt in pack ? As i know, komodo hunt individuallly but when the prey is already down, they will feast together because other komodo can smell the corpse. Thank you  :)

stargatedalek

we can infer that they hunted in groups because we can tell they lived in groups based on groups of fossils

monitor lizards are generally solitary but they will occasionally form packs (or more accurately mobs) and team up to attack larger prey

Pachyrhinosaurus

I've always thought of deinonychosaurs being more like many modern birds of prey, hunting in male/female pairs. 
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

HD-man

Quote from: Balaur on December 12, 2014, 10:55:25 PMI've become interested recently in this topic. I was wondering, what type of pack hunting would we see? Like a wolf pack, or more like komodo dragons? Also, what would the biggest prey be that it hunted? Probably did not hunt anything near the size of a hadrosaur, and also is it possible that some dromaeosaurs would have been possibly omnivorous?

No offense, but there's already a thread for this topic called "Pack hunting dinosaurs" ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.0 ). As for your questions, please see my 1st post on page 7 of said thread.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 13, 2014, 12:18:02 AM
I've always thought of deinonychosaurs being more like many modern birds of prey, hunting in male/female pairs.
Same here. As for omnivory, I agree that they would have been omnivorous to an extent since almost all predators are.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

spinosaurus1

gregarious behavior is a good possability.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.