You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

75-million-year-old dinosaur blood and collagen discovered in fossil fragments

Started by alexeratops, June 10, 2015, 12:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/09/75-million-year-old-dinosaur-blood-and-collagen-discovered-in-fossil-fragments

Gosh, if the DNA turns out to be there, we could clone dinosaurs! Could it really be happening, and in my lifetime?! What perfect timing for Jurassic World  ;)
like a bantha!

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: alexeratops on June 10, 2015, 12:08:12 AM
Gosh, if the DNA turns out to be there, we could clone dinosaurs! Could it really be happening, and in my lifetime?! What perfect timing for Jurassic World  ;)

Alas, it's unlikely: http://www.livescience.com/23861-fossil-dna-half-life.html
QuoteUnder ideal conditions, all the DNA bonds would be completely destroyed in bone after about 6.8 million years.

DinoLord

And even if the DNA is intact and complete, cloning the animals themselves presents a whole other set of challenges. So far, only mammals have been cloned - there have been no clonings (or even attempts to my knowledge) of birds or reptiles. Given how hard it was to start cloning extant mammals back when the technology was in its infancy (and it's still challenging with most species), genetic technology has a very long way to go before potentially cloning viable specimens of long-extinct dinosaurs. And if clones can somehow be made, then there are the various considerations of different atmospheric composition, foreign pathogens, diet, etc.

This is a very cool discovery though; I'm interested in seeing if any more similar ones are made in the future!

Dikiyoba

The article's use of "crap" fossils makes me chortle far too much. Now to find soft tissue in coprolites!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.