News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Wendiceratops!

Started by suspsy, July 08, 2015, 08:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

The amount of diversity in late Cretaceous ceratopsians continues to astound, and would seem to suggest an important display function for the horns and frills. Personally I think this one looks like a mix between Achelousaurus, Triceratops, and Centrosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: DinoLord on July 08, 2015, 08:15:56 PM
The amount of diversity in late Cretaceous ceratopsians continues to astound, and would seem to suggest an important display function for the horns and frills. Personally I think this one looks like a mix between Achelousaurus, Triceratops, and Centrosaurus.

And someday someone is gong to try and push them all into the same genus, if not species. Especially given how many of these are showing up in southern Alberta.

Bu at least Wendy Sloboda is finally recognied for her work--not only fossils, but the first two tyrannosaurid coprolites ever (T.rex in southern Saskatchewan, smaller tyrannosaurid in southern Alberta).

Balaur

When I first read the name, I thought "named after the Wendigo? Awesome!" Still, really cool ceratopsian!

CityRaptor

Guess I'm not the only one who thought that.

Seems a bit tame compared to some other Ceratopsians out there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Z-Ray

Always happy to see more Ceratopsians in their apparently endless fashion parade of ways to wear your horns :)

Also happy to see a name in the W's,
seriously paleontology how am I supposed to make my nephews an illustrated ABC's of Ceratopsians if you keep skipping F, I and Q?
and to think of all the discoveries wasted on A.
(however if there are any F,I and Q Ceratopsians I have missed let me know and I'll be one step closer to my dream of a series of oddly specific ABC books)
My Favorite Dinosaur Over The Years.
1988: Dienonychus - 1998: Pachycephalosaurus - 2008: Carnotaurus - 2018: ?

DinoLord

Huh, Holtz's genera list has nothing for those letters. I guess you'll just have to wait it out.

paleoferroequine

Is it just me but my brain hurts whenever I try to understand the relationship of the various centrosaurines. For instance in one classification (Ryan et al. [2012]) poor old Zenoceratops is a basal centrosaurine outside of the other clades. In another (Sampson et al. [2013]) it is a sister taxon to Sinoceratops, a Chinese centrosaurine! Now (Evans et al.[2015]) however it has wandered off again and Wendiceratops is now a sister taxon to Sinoceratops which are both more basal than the pachyrhinosaurini.  Also in another example (2012 phylogenetic analysis by Ryan, Evans & Shepherd) Rubeosaurus is a pachyrhinosaurini along with Sinoceratops. But now Rubeosaurus is sister taxon to Styracasaurus which makes more sense. Seems like all these cladograms get the reset button whenever a new specimen is uncovered. Or do they use a random number generator or dice to figure things out. None of them resemble one another at all. I'm so confused!

Kayakasaurus

I gladly welcome new Ceratopsians! It reminds me of that one they found in Canada a while back and they held a contest to name it. Does anyone remember the name of that one?
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Halichoeres

Quote from: paleoferroequine on July 09, 2015, 05:27:19 PM
   Is it just me but my brain hurts whenever I try to understand the relationship of the various centrosaurines. For instance in one classification (Ryan et al. [2012]) poor old Zenoceratops is a basal centrosaurine outside of the other clades. In another (Sampson et al. [2013]) it is a sister taxon to Sinoceratops, a Chinese centrosaurine! Now (Evans et al.[2015]) however it has wandered off again and Wendiceratops is now a sister taxon to Sinoceratops which are both more basal than the pachyrhinosaurini.  Also in another example (2012 phylogenetic analysis by Ryan, Evans & Shepherd) Rubeosaurus is a pachyrhinosaurini along with Sinoceratops. But now Rubeosaurus is sister taxon to Styracasaurus which makes more sense. Seems like all these cladograms get the reset button whenever a new specimen is uncovered. Or do they use a random number generator or dice to figure things out. None of them resemble one another at all. I'm so confused!

As somebody who builds cladograms for a living, among other things, I could give you a rundown on why the trees, especially for fossils, are so prone to disruption by new taxa if you're really interested. Is that something that people would enjoy learning?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 09, 2015, 05:56:31 PM
As somebody who builds cladograms for a living, among other things, I could give you a rundown on why the trees, especially for fossils, are so prone to disruption by new taxa if you're really interested. Is that something that people would enjoy learning?

I certainly would be :)

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 09, 2015, 05:39:49 PM
I gladly welcome new Ceratopsians! It reminds me of that one they found in Canada a while back and they held a contest to name it. Does anyone remember the name of that one?

Ralph.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Patrx on July 09, 2015, 06:01:12 PM

Better believe it. Help me, Obi-Wan Halichoeres; you're my only hope.   

Plasticbeast95

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on July 09, 2015, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 09, 2015, 05:39:49 PM

Ralph.

Ralph? I just looked it up and I think it is "Cornelius" anyways... This is that guy! No wonder they look so similar!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

paleoferroequine

How cool is this, Wendy Sloboda got a tattoo 8)   

Halichoeres

Quote from: paleoferroequine on July 09, 2015, 06:58:01 PM
Quote from: Patrx on July 09, 2015, 06:01:12 PM

Better believe it. Help me, Obi-Wan Halichoeres; you're my only hope.   
Ha ha ha, okay, I'll get on it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.