News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T-rex around 15m long?

Started by Lio99, April 04, 2012, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

Nobody should be worried about using Greg Paul's drawings for reference really.  He published a wonderful book.  People are going to refer to it. 

SBell

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 16, 2012, 06:01:34 PM
Nobody should be worried about using Greg Paul's drawings for reference really.  He published a wonderful book.  People are going to refer to it.

You should see what he's had to say on the Dino Mailing List then...

Krissy

Quote from: SBell on April 16, 2012, 06:12:58 PM

Aw, really? I've just started drawings Dinosaurs again for the first time in like 15 years and I've been using his work as my main reference, I feel relucant to post any of if now  :o

Horridus

Quote from: Krissy on April 17, 2012, 08:30:08 PM
Aw, really? I've just started drawings Dinosaurs again for the first time in like 15 years and I've been using his work as my main reference, I feel relucant to post any of if now  :o
Don't worry about it, really.

Unless you're planning on going commercial. Then be afraid...be very afraid.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on April 17, 2012, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Krissy on April 17, 2012, 08:30:08 PM
Don't worry about it, really.

Unless you're planning on going commercial. Then be afraid...be very afraid.

I do like his proposition that any 'real' paleoartist should always go to the collections and drawing things firsthand themselves, just like he does. As if that is even reasonable for most people...

Gryphoceratops

The paleo art business is really annoying especially now.  Its full of people looking to break out and the way they think they can do it is by sending their work to paleontologists and authors saying "here is my drawing!  Use it for free so i can get recognition! yay!"  Then the praleontologist/author says "um...lol ok!"  does it and guess what, the artist gets nowhere.  That being said its very hard to get paid fairly as a paleo-artist (or any artist for that matter) since so many people are literally willing to do the work for nothing.  If I had to guess, this is part of the reason why Greg Paul is getting angry.  Like with any profession field its only partly about how talented/skilled you are and mostly about who you know and what kind of networking/connections you have.

That being said  unless people are directly copying his (or anyone else's for that matter) work and then publishing it for the masses to see or perhaps making money off it (if they are lucky) there is nothing anyone is doing wrong by looking at his book and using it for a reference in the privacy of their own homes, for practice or whatever.  He really doesn't think people were buying it for the text does he?

SBell

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 18, 2012, 02:53:06 PM

The paleo art business is really annoying especially now.  Its full of people looking to break out and the way they think they can do it is by sending their work to paleontologists and authors saying "here is my drawing!  Use it for free so i can get recognition! yay!"  Then the praleontologist/author says "um...lol ok!"  does it and guess what, the artist gets nowhere.  That being said its very hard to get paid fairly as a paleo-artist (or any artist for that matter) since so many people are literally willing to do the work for nothing.  If I had to guess, this is part of the reason why Greg Paul is getting angry.  Like with any profession field its only partly about how talented/skilled you are and mostly about who you know and what kind of networking/connections you have.

That being said  unless people are directly copying his (or anyone else's for that matter) work and then publishing it for the masses to see or perhaps making money off it (if they are lucky) there is nothing anyone is doing wrong by looking at his book and using it for a reference in the privacy of their own homes, for practice or whatever.  He really doesn't think people were buying it for the text does he?

I can't speak for what he thinks, but he pretty much outright said that the only proper way to be a paleoartist was to go and look at the specimens yourself; and that referring to his work is 'cheating'.  Of course, he also wanted to somehow lay claim to his style of reconstructing a skeleton in profile, with the left leg up, on a black silhouette, as being proprietary... ::)

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: SBell on April 18, 2012, 03:35:04 PM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 18, 2012, 02:53:06 PM

I can't speak for what he thinks, but he pretty much outright said that the only proper way to be a paleoartist was to go and look at the specimens yourself; and that referring to his work is 'cheating'.  Of course, he also wanted to somehow lay claim to his style of reconstructing a skeleton in profile, with the left leg up, on a black silhouette, as being proprietary... ::)

I remember that.  His claim about the pose is silly.  But like I said earlier if you are a paleontologist or work in a museum with all those specimens by all means use those for reference instead.  But for a person who is drawing a dinosaur at home for fun or for practice there is nothing wrong with referencing his book.

Arioch

If using his style or referencing his stuff is now a crime he could sue nearly half of Deviant art paleo artists, for all I know...

As others have said, just don´t worry about this man delusional rants. That´s the only thing he can do: rant.

Krissy

*sigh* It's so disheartening to find out one of the icons of your field of interest would act that way. It's all well and good for those who have the luxury of spare time and easy access to a wide variety of fossils first-hand to use the source material for reference, but for most of us that's just a pipe dream.

Lio99

So wikepedia says that giganotosaurus and carcharodontosaurus was 13m and t-rex is also 13m long now i am just confused.  ???

Eriorguez

Giga and specially Carcha are VERY incomplete, and most estimates were pretty much overestimates. One can say the three of them were roughly the same size and that'd be accurate.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.