News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TasosaurusGR's sculpts

Started by tasosaurusGR, June 02, 2017, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tasosaurusGR

Hello once again.First of all sorry for not posting for so much time  :( and excuse my bad English.Below are shown two figures that I recently made , Laganosuchus and Tanistropheus as well as some pictures of the sculpting process. These are my first sculptures with supper sculpey . Any comments and tips are welcome so that I may become better.

creating the armature.I used a bit of aluminum foil in the middle to make it lighter and two tipes of wire.

For the main sulpt i used supper sculpey and some tools from the same company.

I also used acrilic collors and painted it with a couple of small paintbrushes and here is the finished figure.

And now for an older one : tanystropheus
The same techniques were used . For reference I used the small kaiyodo figure and some images from google.

I hope you like them :).Goodbey everyone.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Hi, nice sculpts, I like the colors on the Tanystropheus a lot!

tasosaurusGR

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 02, 2017, 05:55:23 PM
I like the Laganosuchus!

Thank you Halichoeres! It certainly has more detail than the tanistropheus.Could you please recomend a species of fish that would fit well with laganosuchus on a diorama ?

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on June 02, 2017, 06:24:29 PM
Hi, nice sculpts, I like the colors on the Tanystropheus a lot!

Thanks! These are the same colors as the kaiyodo dinotales Tanystropheus.

Archinto

These are very good! I like the posture of the tanystropheus. Keep making more sculptures and dont be afraid to spend more time on the detailing. The nice thing about using super sculpey is you can set it down akd come back to it later. I like that you can add more over a baked surface too. Ill usually sculpt a skull with teeth on my armature and any other major bones like feet and claws. I can add more clay after baking it for a more realistic effect for claws and teeth.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

tasosaurusGR

Quote from: Archinto on June 03, 2017, 01:25:49 AM
These are very good! I like the posture of the tanystropheus. Keep making more sculptures and dont be afraid to spend more time on the detailing. The nice thing about using super sculpey is you can set it down akd come back to it later. I like that you can add more over a baked surface too. Ill usually sculpt a skull with teeth on my armature and any other major bones like feet and claws. I can add more clay after baking it for a more realistic effect for claws and teeth.

Thank you , Archinto :D! And yes you are right about the detailing.I should prebake  during the process a few times.While trying to sculpt it in one go , I was touching parts that  were alredy finished and taking away the details I sculpted :( . Even worse is the fact that I didn't make a rotating stand for it , so I had to hold it with my hand. Do you know of any good tutorials on how to make one ?
Also , I wanted to ask what parts of the laganosuchus skelleton have been found by paleontologists.There was only a picture of the lower jaw when I googled it but maybe you know something more .

Halichoeres

Quote from: tasosaurusGR on June 02, 2017, 06:34:10 PM
Could you please recomend a species of fish that would fit well with laganosuchus on a diorama ?

I think Stromerichthys would work well, and fossils resembling Belonostomus have been found nearby too.

Quote from: tasosaurusGR on June 03, 2017, 09:13:07 AM

Also , I wanted to ask what parts of the laganosuchus skelleton have been found by paleontologists.There was only a picture of the lower jaw when I googled it but maybe you know something more .

The description is open access: http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=2104

The holotype is described on page 78 and consists of just the lower jaw; I'm not aware of any other material. Unfortunately, its closest relative, Stomatosuchus, is also pretty fragmentary.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tasosaurusGR

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 06, 2017, 02:30:38 PM
Quote from: tasosaurusGR on June 02, 2017, 06:34:10 PM
Could you please recomend a species of fish that would fit well with laganosuchus on a diorama ?

I think Stromerichthys would work well, and fossils resembling Belonostomus have been found nearby too.

Quote from: tasosaurusGR on June 03, 2017, 09:13:07 AM

The description is open access: http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=2104

The holotype is described on page 78 and consists of just the lower jaw; I'm not aware of any other material. Unfortunately, its closest relative, Stomatosuchus, is also pretty fragmentary.

Thank you for your recommendations on the fishes :D.On the subject of stomatosuchus I thought excactly the same because while searching for reference pictures on google , both species seemed to share the same images. Except for a couple of them that depict stomatosuchus whith pelican like characteristics on his mouth ???.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.