News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I'm selling t-shirts.

Started by stargatedalek, November 19, 2017, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in dinosaur art, but since most of it's actually modern animals and I was concerned it might be better considered as advertising I decided to place it here.

http://tee.pub/lic/VQtwXU6Hf7w

For a while I've been haphazardly tossing up spare designs I had lying around on TeePublic, haven't sold all that many but it's been a fun experience regardless. I have a backlog of designs from the past year (or three) that I've finally recovered after a hard-drive crash last year and I've started steadily uploading them.

I've also been working on a few designs lately and have sort of gotten back into the swing so to speak, so I thought I would post the link to store around and ask people what animals they'd be interested in seeing (no obligation to purchase).

tyrantqueen

Are your T-shirt designs infringing copyright? I know the Primal Carnage and anime character images are copyrighted imaged that have been traced over with
Inkscape. I can find them with a quick google search.

I like the animal images but these seem to be stock images that have been traced over. Here's an example, an albino alligator:

Do you have permission from the original artists or are they free stock? Like I said, I like and I am thinking of purchasing some of the animal T-shirts but I don't want to support theft. Can I be reassured that this is original content and/or not a violation of copyright? I ask simply because I believe strongly in supporting the original artist of an image.
Thanks

stargatedalek

It constitutes fair-use when a reference is converted into another medium that was not intended by the original author (barring trademark presence). For example if I were to trace a photo of a storm-trooper the actual tracing of the image itself would be considered fair use, but the appearance of the storm-trooper wouldn't (barring if it was considered fan-art, more on that later). Because these are photos of actual animals they maintain fair-use since you can't trademark a thing that exists naturally.

Most of these are sourced from explicitly public domain images, but not all as some were requests from friends in the past. I genuinely don't remember the sources for any of them at this point.

That being said if a photographer were to request anything removed I would remove it immediately, no questions asked.

As for the others, I maintain that those are fan-art and disclose them as-such. TeePublic is in very large part fan-art and most companies acknowledge (even for-profit) fan-art as a valid form of free advertising. With things like that it varies a lot by context.

These are important questions to ask, and ones I often asked in school before the answers really sunk in. All of this is just legal of course, it's ultimately up to a consumer as to what they consider "original enough" for them, but I can assure you are not supporting witting theft.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 19, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
It constitutes fair-use when a reference is converted into another medium that was not intended by the original author (barring trademark presence). For example if I were to trace a photo of a storm-trooper the actual tracing of the image itself would be considered fair use, but the appearance of the storm-trooper wouldn't (barring if it was considered fan-art, more on that later). Because these are photos of actual animals they maintain fair-use since you can't trademark a thing that exists naturally.

Most of these are sourced from explicitly public domain images, but not all as some were requests from friends in the past. I genuinely don't remember the sources for any of them at this point.

That being said if a photographer were to request anything removed I would remove it immediately, no questions asked.

As for the others, I maintain that those are fan-art and disclose them as-such. TeePublic is in very large part fan-art and most companies acknowledge (even for-profit) fan-art as a valid form of free advertising. With things like that it varies a lot by context.

These are important questions to ask, and ones I often asked in school before the answers really sunk in. All of this is just legal of course, it's ultimately up to a consumer as to what they consider "original enough" for them, but I can assure you are not supporting witting theft.

OK, thanks! I am thinking about picking up some of the reptiles, maybe the perentie or the marine iguana.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 19, 2017, 04:08:29 PM
OK, thanks! I am thinking about picking up some of the reptiles, maybe the perentie or the marine iguana.
No problem, it's a more than fair question to ask.

I actually have a few more reptiles. I've been putting them up a few a day but I'll toss them up now since someone is interested.

Faelrin

Normally I wouldn't make a post about this, but I feel someone needs to step in to clear some things up. There is a misunderstanding of the fair use thing. I mean in general. Most people these days don't get it, and seem to think it's a right, but it's not a right. It's a defense, and even then one can't guarantee they'd get to slide by that if they were taken to court over it (and you really only get a chance at that after being taken to court btw), since as far as I'm aware, each case has to be evaluated first. I've seen this thing mentioned (and argued over) on another forum I go on, dozens of time, for something that actually has to deal with ip theft a good number of times. A case even came up, but both ended up settling before it would have been decided if the offending party could have gotten by with the fair use thing or not.

Anyways, just be careful with this whole thing. As unlikely as it would be to happen, I wouldn't want you to end up in some trouble over it (regardless if it's a DMCA takedown, etc). Here's some info: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

Anyways, on topic, if I had the money I would go for one of the prehistoric skeletal ones. I don't really have any dinosaur shirts, except maybe my Jurassic Park shirt.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.