You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gurney's tyrannosaurs in Scientific American

Started by Newt, April 15, 2015, 06:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

I hope this is the right place for this topic!

James Gurney, best known as the writer and illustrator of the Dinotopia books, has illustrated Stephen Brusatte's Scientific American article entitled, "Rise of the Tyrannosaurs", which will be in the May 2015 issue. Gurney has written about it on his blog and posted a short video of the painting process on Youtube. He is also selling a longer instructional video that complements his "How I Paint Dinosaurs" video.

Gurney is not only a skilled illustrator, he's an excellent teacher of art techniques and concepts. I highly recommend to any artists here Gurney's blog and his instructional books Color and Light and Imaginative Realism. I haven't watched any of his instructional videos yet, but I hope to buy some soon.

Nebuloid

Saw this today, really tempted to pay for the full video after seeing the "trailer" !

Halichoeres

That's fantastic, thanks for posting! I have no idea what became of my childhood copy of Dinotopia, but this makes want to buy the 20th anniversary reissue.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Darn..do I buy this issue or wait for the article to be released in a collection?

DinoLord

I'll definitely keep an eye for this issue. Gurney is perhaps the finest paleoartist painter out there, in my opinion.

spinosaurus1

i'm really contemplating on buying that instructional tutorial .

Newt

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I merged Newt's and Sauroid's posts on the article and decided to place it in the books, film, and other media section as it doesn't focus exclusively on James' art.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.