News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hi! Just registered

Started by Don B., May 04, 2015, 06:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don B.

I've been lurking here for a couple of months and decided to register.

A little bit about myself. I'm old enough to have collected the Marx dinos when they were initially issued. Spent a lot of time with those and loved to study about dinosaurs. Of course, just about everything I learned about them back then has since been proven wrong. Oh well ...

Fast forward to the summer of 2014. We had the opportunity to visit London and we went to Harrod's. While walking through the toy department, I spotted the animal toys. Walked over and a Schleich T-Rex caught my eye. I had not looked at toy dinos in a long time (my own kids weren't interested) and was surprised at the detail. My 3 year old grandson was crazy about dinosaurs and so I took note for future reference.

In November, they came to visit and the same day, Walking with Dinosaurs was playing in Phoenix. So grandfather and grandson went to see the animatronic dinos. He was absolutely enthralled. We were about eight rows up on the side so he was down close and personal. He identified most quite accurately and was so excited.

For Christmas, I found several of the Schleich dinos on ebay at a great price. The Carnotaurus became his favorite and began showing up everywhere he went. They got a little people nativity set and he seemed to thing that the Carnotaurus was a fitting visitor at the manger along with the sheep and donkey.

Afterwards, I discovered the blog and through the blog, the forum.  I have continued to buy dinosaurs for him and I think I have the next five or six birthdays and Christmases convered. Thanks to the reviews I have become slightly more discriminating and have found toys by Safari, Favorite, Collecta, Bullyland and a Geoworld Zuniceratops. I found the Battats at my local Target and even found a lot of eight of smaller original Battats on ebay for a great price. I can't see how the Utahraptor ever stood though because it sure doesn't do so now.

Well, that's a little about me. I'll try to post some pictures under latest acquisitions..

Kayakasaurus

Welcome to the forum! That's funny you said you've become a little more discriminating. I came to the forum the same way and when I first started reading the dinotyblog, I thought the writers were hair splitting and picky... Boy has that changed. Whence you learn to discern accurate Dinos, there is no going back  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

tasosaurusGR

QuoteI can't see how the Utahraptor ever stood though because it sure doesn't do so now.

I think that it is supposed to grapple/stand on a herbivore's back.I might be wrong ???

DinoToyForum

Arul

Patrx

Welcome to the forum, Don!

laticauda

Quote from: Don B. on May 04, 2015, 06:52:51 AM
I have continued to buy dinosaurs for him and I think I have the next five or six birthdays and Christmases convered. Thanks to the reviews I have become slightly more discriminating and have found toys by Safari, Favorite, Collecta, Bullyland and a Geoworld Zuniceratops.

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on May 04, 2015, 07:45:50 AM
Welcome to the forum! That's funny you said you've become a little more discriminating. I came to the forum the same way and when I first started reading the dinotyblog, I thought the writers were hair splitting and picky... Boy has that changed. Whence you learn to discern accurate Dinos, there is no going back  :))

Welcome Don.

My wife gets on my case, because I tend to stock up on different prehistoric toys for ours kids.  I truly do not think I buy that many until its close to their birthday, and then I look at the stash with disbelieving eyes and ask myself, "where did all these dinos come from?"

As for being discriminating, since I joined, I have actually become in many ways less discriminating.  I never liked cheap looking dinosaur toys,  and only bought from the local store.  After joining, my eyes were opened to many brands or even dinosaurs, that I had never heard of before. 

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Don B.

Laticauda,

You'll notice that I said "slightly" more discriminating. Perhaps I should say that I have become a little more appreciative of what I perceive as the accuracy of the toys. Initially, I was seduced by the wow factor of the Schleich T-Rexes and that is a definite wow. Only later did I realize that while the body is probably a 1:40 scale as far as length, the head is probably 1:24 and who knows what the feet are. Now does that bother my 3 1/2 year old grandson? Not a bit. But now that I realize it, it bothers me -- a little. So I then got the Wild Safari and the Series 1 Favorite T-Rexes and look forward to the Battat when it is rereleased.

Hey, I admit it, I am reliving my youth through my grandson. He likes to talk to me about dinosaurs and, since he is 2500 miles away, that's pretty cool. He has difficulty saying his own name clearly but pachyrhinosaurus, brachiosaurus and styracosaurus come rolling off his tongue with no problems!

laticauda

When it comes to dinosaurs, and collecting, it is all about what you are looking for.  Some people like accuracy, some want personality, and some people might only want ones that face left.  The fun part is having people to share and talk about it.  For me, I love telling stories and enjoy the topic of dinosaurs and animals in general.  Your grandson and you have a very cool connection.  I have a son who is 4, and I dread the day when he tells me he doesn't like dinosaurs anymore.  I am crossing my fingers that it never happens.   ;)

Kayakasaurus

I guess what I mean by discerning/discriminating is being more aware. I learn about dinosaurs as I learn to sculpt. Today my sculpts still have plenty of minor inaccuracies, but nothing like when I  first started! I really had no idea  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.