You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shell-less Turtle Ancestor Linked to Birds & Crocodiles

Started by sauroid, September 04, 2015, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Balaur

So... Turtles are archosaurs.... Well then, hell yeah!!!! :))

sauroid

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 04, 2015, 02:32:15 PM
So they're no longer anapsids? Pretty cool.
that's what i was curious about too.
ATTN: DTF member stemturtle (he might be able to enlighten us in this matter)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Amniotes seem to be primitively anapsid, but DNA has been telling us for a while now that turtles are closer to living "reptiles" and/or birds than to mammals, so at least molecular-trained evolutionary biologists have considered them diapsids for a few years now. It's cool that the fossils are starting to back that up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

stemturtle

Quote from: sauroid on September 04, 2015, 02:41:40 PM

Sauroid, thanks for posting the links about Eunotosaurus. We still need more fossils in order to discover a common ancestor for stem-turtles and archosaurs. As Bever asked in the second article, "Which of the other diapsid groups form their closest cousin?"
Recent  research is very exciting.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stemturtle on September 04, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: sauroid on September 04, 2015, 02:41:40 PM

Sauroid, thanks for posting the links about Eunotosaurus. We still need more fossils in order to discover a common ancestor for stem-turtles and archosaurs. As Bever asked in the second article, "Which of the other diapsid groups form their closest cousin?"
Recent  research is very exciting.

Yeah, the next step is resolving this. Correct me if I'm wrong about the relative number of studies here, but it seems like most recent fossil-based morphological phylogenies have found the turtle lineage to be lepidosauromorphs, while most genie-based molecular phylogenies have found them to be archosauromorphs. Studies incorporating both lines of evidence found them to be archosauromorphs, but I know some OTHER genetic studies supported lepidosauromorph status.

Awesomely, it seems like the consensus is pretty much solidifying around sauropterygians as the closest extinct relatives of turtles, no matter which branch of diapsids they're on. The genetic+fossil study even found plesiosaurians and placodonts paraphyletic with respect to turtles, meaning turtles are sauropterygians. Sauropterygians are to turtles what dinosaurs are to birds!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.