News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Greetings

Started by WUHT, May 27, 2015, 07:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUHT

Hello there

I'm pleased to join this community.

I would like to start a collection myself.  The more I read about this the more I realize i'm more finicky than I expected.
One criteria I would like is to have a uniform scale and during my research of potential purchasesI'm neurotic about the length and height of the figurine.   I try to study pictures that other members have posted and try to compare them in my head.   The blog posts have also been helpful for me to create a mental image. 

Ideally I'd like to recreate James Gurney's dinosaur parade plus a t. rex.
Originally I'm thinking going with Papo T Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, plus the giant blue Apatosaurus and the spotted parasaurolophus.  The papo stegosaurus isn't that nice imo tho, as the plates are too numerous and small and the tiny looks too stubby.   Papo's colours are a little dull imo too.
I considered the wild safari line (the stegosaurus is much nicer) but the t.rex looks underwhelming  (I like the running pose) but the feet look grotesquely large and the t.rex (imho) seems a lil small compared to the other dinosaurs.
I realize I sound like i'm complaining, but I just want to make it clear that everything else I didnt mention is because I really enjoy the aspect of the figures.

Lastly, I haven't noticed anyone talking about how Jurassic World may spur manufacturers to create more models.  Is it expected that Papo may release some updated version of their dinosaurs once the film is out ?

tyrantqueen

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

QuoteLastly, I haven't noticed anyone talking about how Jurassic World may spur manufacturers to create more models.  Is it expected that Papo may release some updated version of their dinosaurs once the film is out ?
I personally don't think so. They don't care so much about accuracy in the first place (although it's gotten better over the years, thanks to their Sideshow copying). More likely they would be making their dinosaurs more JP-esque to cash in on the craze. But who can say?

QuoteI would like to start a collection myself.  The more I read about this the more I realize i'm more finicky than I expected.
One criteria I would like is to have a uniform scale and during my research of potential purchasesI'm neurotic about the length and height of the figurine.   I try to study pictures that other members have posted and try to compare them in my head.   The blog posts have also been helpful for me to create a mental image.
Some of us are scale maniacs (I consider myself one) and only buy in certain scales, and others just buy anything they have space for. All are welcome here 8)

Arul

Hi welcome to the forum  :) papo already have most of jw dinosaur in their figure, except maybe the gallimimus/dimorphodon/etc but im pretty sure they will make the gallimimus just dont know when. I hope papo make the mosasaurus based on jw is no problem, i think papo tylosaurus is not good at all..

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.