News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Flintstones ---- maybe a little OT

Started by modelnut, July 22, 2015, 02:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelnut

Just found out that they were re-releasing this kit, the Flintstones' Flintmobile!

It may be in 1:25 scale and so fit alongside the Pegasus Hobbies vinyl dinosaur kits or it may be 1:20. I guess that depends on where you look. The new box art says 1:25.

Here is a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XQB8wv66k

I just ordered one and hope to get it assembled this weekend.  ;D

- Leelan

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd like to build a life size one some day..would be pretty easy overall..aside from what to make the wheels out of.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 22, 2015, 04:32:17 AM
I'd like to build a life size one some day..would be pretty easy overall..aside from what to make the wheels out of.
Just use barrels, and paint and texture them to look like rocks...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 22, 2015, 07:48:17 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 22, 2015, 04:32:17 AM
Just use barrels, and paint and texture them to look like rocks...

That was my first thought, but plastic barrels do not hold paint really well. Metal ones do til they rust, but I haven't found any that are smooth all the way around.

modelnut

Damn! I can't find any 1/25 scale caveman figures to go with it.  >:(

I wonder if I can find something close to kitbash into Fred Flintstone . . .

- Leelan

amargasaurus cazaui

how tall would 1/25 scale be....marx made a series of larger cavemen as well
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

There are also the two cave people from the carnegie line...

CityRaptor

I think the Carnegie figures are 1:10, so they would be too big.  They are also Australophitecus. They might be worse off than Neanderthals...

From the movie:
Pearl Slaghoople: Somebody has to look after my daughter and grandchild, while you're out carousing with a bunch of Neanderthals.
Fred Flintstone: Oh, really? Well, for your information, the lodge no longer accepts Neanderthals.

Also anyone else notices that Dino is missing his nostrills?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

modelnut

A six-foot tall man would be 3 inches tall in 24th scale and 2.88 inches in 25th. That would be 7.6 cm and 7.3 cm respectively. John Goodman (who played Fred in the movie) is 6' 2" (1.88 m) so those figures are close enough. A difference of 0.2 cm is not enough to matter in this case.

- Leelan

Halichoeres

There's also this, although that might make Fred about 7 feet tall.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

modelnut

modelnut

OK. I'm guessing that the original scale of 1/20 is the right one. This model is too big for 1/25 scale. I have a few cars and figures in that scale and the Flintmobile is definitely larger than its modern equivalent. By about 1/5 I would say, which is the precise difference between the scales.

Oh well. I bought it. I will finish it.

- Leelan

amargasaurus cazaui

if you dont want to keep it, I will buy it from you, Finish it and sell it to me ...I can give it a great home. Love it....

Halichoeres

Well, in that case, if the Fred figure is 3 3/4", that makes him about 6'3". Just about perfect!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

modelnut

We'll see. There are some horrendous seams to fill. I'm toying with the idea of scratch-building the car in actual 25th scale.
So many model ideas --- so little time!  >:(

I am currently working on a 24th scale Apatosaurus. So, as far as scratch-building goes, that will keep me occupied for the foreseeable future.

- Leelan

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.