You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Utah Museum of Natural History

Started by Yutyrannus, April 12, 2015, 03:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

I visited this museum earlier today and took plenty of pictures, especially of their new temporary exhibit: Extreme Mammals (there was some really cool stuff in there :) ):
Jefferson's Ground Sloth

Dire Wolf

Baby Columbian Mammoth

Subadult Teratophoneus

"Hagryphus" (Really Anzu)

The Ceratopsian Wall (One of my favorite parts of the entire museum)

Close-up of Nasutuceratops Skull

Allosaurus and Barosaurus

The floor next to the Allosaurus pack

Utahceratops

Falcarius
\
Close-up of Nothronychus Skull (I did take a photo of the whole skeleton next to the Falcarius one but it was too blurry)

Gryposaurus

Troodontid (it didn't say what species, I really like the Anchiornis inspired look)

Lythronax Head Reconstruction

Underwater Diorama

Ceratosaurus and Marshosaurus fighting over a Stegosaurus carcass

Lythronax (another of my favorite parts in the museum)

And now some from the Extreme Mammals exhibit
Patriofelis and Hoplophoneus Skulls

Batodonoides vanhouteni (I didn't even know about this little guy until I saw it in the exhibit, he's a fascinating creature), sorry for the poor quality of the photo, I'll try to get a better one next time I go there

Paraceratherium

Dimetrodon

Cynognathus

A small cynodont I don't remember the name of

Darwinius

Repenomamus

Arsinoitherium

Macrauchenia

Thylacoleo

Tasmanian Devil Skeleton

Ambulocetus

An arboreal creodont that I don't remember the name of (I remember it's from the Green River Formation)

Archaeotherium

I'll post the rest of the pictures later :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Wow cool, Are the modern sloth derive from this giant sloth ?

Yutyrannus

I don't think so, but they are in the same family.

Here are the rest of the pictures I took:
Diprotodon

Leptictidium

Glossotherium

Volaticotherium

Palaeochiropteryx

Onychonycteris finneyi

Odobenocetops

Puijila

Coryphodon (I think)

A few species that I don't remember the names of

Thylacine

A Smilodon trapped in tar

HD-man

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 12, 2015, 03:42:54 AMTroodontid (it didn't say what species,

Probably Anchiornis. Anyway, many thanks for sharing your pics (Did you get any of the dromaeosaur?). I've heard good things about UMNH's dino exhibition.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

Quote from: HD-man on April 12, 2015, 05:01:33 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 12, 2015, 03:42:54 AMTroodontid (it didn't say what species,

Probably Anchiornis. Anyway, many thanks for sharing your pics (Did you get any of the dromaeosaur?). I've heard good things about UMNH's dino exhibition.
I don't think it was Anchiornis considering it's size.

You can see part of the dromaeosaur in the picture of the Deinosuchus in the first post, other than that I don't think so. I'll make sure to get some next time I go to the museum (the Extreme Mammals will still be there until July and I plan to go and see it again before then, and hopefully I'll be able to get some better pictures then) :).

Yeah, it is really cool, especially that marine diorama with the Presbyornis skeletons hanging above it (which I also forgot to take pictures of). They also have an Arctodus skeleton there that is really cool. The Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point is great too (and sometimes they show some cool films in their theater as well, like Titans of the Ice Age), I plan on going back there soon too so I'll be sure to get some photos there as well :).

Pachyrhinosaurus

Good that you got to go! Is this the one with the diorama of the stegosaurus v. allosaurus?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 12, 2015, 03:52:58 PM
Good that you got to go! Is this the one with the diorama of the stegosaurus v. allosaurus?
No, the only Stegosaurus skeleton in the museum is the one that is being fought over by Ceratosaurus and a Marshosaurus. I think the museum did have that diorama before they rebuilt it, but for some reason it's not there now.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 12, 2015, 06:43:19 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 12, 2015, 03:52:58 PM
No, the only Stegosaurus skeleton in the museum is the one that is being fought over by Ceratosaurus and a Marshosaurus. I think the museum did have that diorama before they rebuilt it, but for some reason it's not there now.
Actually I did a quick search and it was the Denver Muaeum of Nature and Science, sorry.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Viking Spawn

Cool looking display rooms!  I'm surprised I missed this thread earlier!  Thanks for the great pics!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.