You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Something GORY Is Coming To Washington DC!

Started by suspsy, October 01, 2015, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

I like it and definitely not offended by it!  (And I also happen to like Triceratops as well  ;))  I'll definitely be there when it opens....  I just wish it wasn't 3 MORE YEARS to wait!  I guess one can't rush a 48 million renovation.....

suspsy

Quote from: Dobber on October 02, 2015, 11:27:38 PM
Ah, good ol' big headed Stan. Anyone know what they had back in the 80's? That was the last time I was there.....probably the early 80's when I was just a kid. I really don't remember much about the trip, I iust remember going with my dad. Also, out of curiosity....what about Philadelphia? I'm from that area and the last time I was there was around 2001. I know they have a Rex cast and also a Giganotosaurus cast too. I just like to know what Rex (cast or real) I'm looking at but displays don't always tell you what they are. Thanks for any help. Also appreciate your comments Suspy.  :)

Chris

Before the NMNH acquired the Stan cast, all they had was a cast of the AMNH 5027 skull. I remember being profoundly disappointed the very first time went there back in the mid-80s.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

jooooo

One thing that might be cool next to this Exhibit is a pair of Skeletons showing a ceratopsian scavenging a tyrannosaur carass.

laticauda

My kids will be a great age to make the road trip in 2019, so that date works for me.   :)

John

The Tyrannosaurus being displayed in interaction with the Triceratops tells me that the Smithsonian is going the Carnegie Museum route in having animals from the same time and place together.That means the dinosaurs from the Jurassic will likely be displayed in the same manner.I can picture the Allosaurus squaring off with the Stegosaurus with the Ceratosaurus manacing the Camptosaurus while Diplodocus and Camarasaurus tower above them all,heedless of the two much smaller meat eaters. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

whoops,double post...please ignore
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dobber

Quote from: John on October 03, 2015, 04:40:22 PM
The Tyrannosaurus being displayed in interaction with the Triceratops tells me that the Smithsonian is going the Carnegie Museum route in having animals from the same time and place together.That means the dinosaurs from the Jurassic will likely be displayed in same manner.I can picture the Allosaurus squaring off with the Stegosaurus with the Ceratosaurus manacing the Camptosaurus while Diplodocus and Camarasaurus tower above them all,heedless of the two much smaller meat eaters. ;D

Yes! I love CMNH's displays. Their Jurassic display room is impressive. The have a Ceratosaurus attacking a Dryosaurus.

And in the main hall with "Dippy" there is an Allosaurus stalking an Apatosaurus and here baby.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Viking Spawn

I love the Carnegie Museum!  Its my favorite so far!   I have a whole thread/image gallery devoted to my trip a month ago!   ;)

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3815.0

Dobber

Me too! Great pictures. I went last December and also posted a bunch of pictures back then. I think their dinosaur exhibit is second to none. Then again, I've only seen a few  :P

I really think they are an example of how to do a dinosaur exhibit, though.  8)
IIRC, it was only reopened a a few years ago, probably why the Dino exhibit is so good. Before it was reopened, the Rex was still an upright tail dragger!  :o

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Just out of curiosity, is there any museum display in the world that depicts a theropod losing to a ceratopsian or a sauropod or a thyreophoran?

amargasaurus cazaui

Think much like Gwangi said, the reason this mount was created is a reflects a recently published paper establishing this method of death amd dismemberment to a triceratops based on pathology to a triceratops specimen. The mount looks like is based almost exclusively on the paper and findings.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

It looks like it could be a cool mount, but still a mount showing a Tyrannosaurus being gored by a Triceratops instead would be quite a breath of fresh air :-\.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

CityRaptor

Well, expect the radical Tyrannosaurus Fanboys to throw a fit if that ever happens.

Quote from: suspsy on October 04, 2015, 03:40:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there any museum display in the world that depicts a theropod losing to a ceratopsian or a sauropod or a thyreophoran?

I don't think so.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 04, 2015, 03:58:15 AM
Think much like Gwangi said, the reason this mount was created is a reflects a recently published paper establishing this method of death amd dismemberment to a triceratops based on pathology to a triceratops specimen. The mount looks like is based almost exclusively on the paper and findings.

Yeah, it says so right in the articles. :)

QuoteWell, expect the radical Tyrannosaurus Fanboys to throw a fit if that ever happens.

I don't think museums would be worried about fanboys so much as the general public, especially kids. They know T. rex is the star attraction of any dinosaur exhibit. It has to be looking impressive. That said, I do think they could get away with say, a Gorgosaurus being gored by a Styracosaurus or an Allosaurus taking a thagomizer to the throat.

Viking Spawn

suspsy

It would be, although you would have to use complete fiberglass casts as opposed to real fossilised bones.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on October 04, 2015, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 04, 2015, 03:58:15 AM

Yeah, it says so right in the articles. :)

Thinking this might be an assumption you made....as neither article mentions the paper that I could find....there is a vague reference that states...."Inspired by tyrannosaur bite marks found on the frills of multiple Triceratops specimens, the display catches a grisly and terrifying moment that we know must have happened between 68 and 66 million years ago.

"Healed wounds and scrapes on Cretaceous bones have shown that Tyrannosaurus was both a capable hunter and an opportunistic scavenger, just as spotted hyenas are today"

Neither quote refers directly to the paper in any way I could find nor its direct findings.I guess maybe the evidence they are citing could be considered findings...

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Kovu

If I understood the Smithsonian article correctly, the Edmontosaurus is going to be freed from the plaster it was displayed in? That I'd be super excited to see! I can totally see them having it standing off to the side of the Tyrannosaurus-Triceratops display, kind of just giving the situation side eye, like "Nope, I'm not getting involved in that mess..."

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.