You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Something GORY Is Coming To Washington DC!

Started by suspsy, October 01, 2015, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Wankel Rex: Because you need me, humans. Your guilty conscience may move you to root for the Triceratops, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Tyrant Lizard to stomp Raptors, brutalize Hadrosaurs, and rule you like a King. That's why I did this, to save you from yourselves. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a museum to run.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Viking Spawn

Now THAT is going to be cool!  I'll be looking forward for when the hall reopens! 

suspsy

As cool as this display looks, I think I would have preferred the T. rex grappling with a live Triceratops rather than preparing to decapitate a dead one. Would have been a lot more dynamic and exciting. Also less insulting to ceratopsian fans. And I say that as a T. rex fanboy.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

That does look really coll but as Suspsy said, a 'regular' triceratops mount would be nicer. Perhaps an extra cast will be mounted separately? I doubt it, though, given the size of the dinosaur hall.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2015, 01:51:54 AM
As cool as this display looks, I think I would have preferred the T. rex grappling with a live Triceratops rather than preparing to decapitate a dead one. Would have been a lot more dynamic and exciting. Also less insulting to ceratopsian fans. And I say that as a T. rex fanboy.

As a major ceratopsid fanboy, I can confirm this is indeed a shame and an insult to all who like to see their ceratopsids, you know, NOT lying dead on the ground. Thats just my opinion though, and i'm sure it will be plenty accurate, it just won't be displayed as well as it could have been.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Viking Spawn

Perhaps, something more like this?

suspsy

It's probably a question of space too. The NMNH's dinosaur gallery is far smaller than the AMNH.

MLMjp

Quote from: Viking Spawn on October 02, 2015, 05:45:34 AM
Perhaps, something more like this?
Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2015, 11:41:50 AM
It's probably a question of space too. The NMNH's dinosaur gallery is far smaller than the AMNH.
Something like the tyrannosaurus vs triceratops diorama by sideshow would have been better, for example, and it would not take that much space,

stargatedalek

As someone with no vested interest in either species I must say that I don't mind it. Yes it could have been fighting with a live Triceratops, but admit it, we've all seen that before.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 02, 2015, 03:31:08 PM
As someone with no vested interest in either species I must say that I don't mind it. Yes it could have been fighting with a live Triceratops, but admit it, we've all seen that before.

Agreed. This looks like an awesome display and it's based on scientific evidence too. That fact alone makes the mount that much better, and less offensive. Not that I'm offended anyway. There are plenty of extant animal displays behaving similarly.

I mean, I like grouse and all but this mount is cool regardless. Same basic idea. Predator with prey.

And zebra are cool too, but I don't see zebra fanboys getting upset over this.

Dobber

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 02, 2015, 03:31:08 PM
....... I must say that I don't mind it. Yes it could have been fighting with a live Triceratops, but admit it, we've all seen that before.

That's how I feel too.

I'll be making a trip out to DC to see this when it opens.

Also, am I the only one that wants that model of the new display?  :))

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

I will absolutely be making a trip to DC after 2019. I wonder what other cool dinosaurs are in store?

Dobber

Does the Smithsonian have any other actual Rex skeletons or is the Wankle Rex their first? Also what cast do they have if no other actual skeletons are there. I know CMNH has the Holotype on display along with a cast of Pecks Rex, and also Jane. The Feild museum has Sue ect...

Chris

suspsy

They acquired a cast of Stan back in 1999 after failing to purchase Sue. I saw it on my trip to DC in 2013. Looked perfectly good. Children and their parents were loving it.

Dobber

Ah, good ol' big headed Stan. Anyone know what they had back in the 80's? That was the last time I was there.....probably the early 80's when I was just a kid. I really don't remember much about the trip, I iust remember going with my dad. Also, out of curiosity....what about Philadelphia? I'm from that area and the last time I was there was around 2001. I know they have a Rex cast and also a Giganotosaurus cast too. I just like to know what Rex (cast or real) I'm looking at but displays don't always tell you what they are. Thanks for any help. Also appreciate your comments Suspy.  :)

Chris 

tyrantqueen

Its scapula looks like it's going to drop off 8)

Appalachiosaurus

I like it, something new. We already have so many T. rex vs. Triceratops locked in combat mounts, good to finally see the end of one of those fights.

DinoLord

Yeah, HMNS also has one of those displays with T. rex and Triceratops charging at each other. This new display is certainly a more uncommon idea; the only analogous one that comes to mind is the AMNH Allosaurus mount.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: