You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New stem-turtle Pappochelys rosinae

Started by stemturtle, June 25, 2015, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

A new stem-turtle, Pappochelys rosinae, was discovered in Germany. Pappochelys has a diapsid skull, and at 240 MY is midway between Eunotosaurus and Odontochelys. Turtles are sister group to Sauropterygia. Thanks to amargasaurus cazaui for alerting me to this news. https://app.box.com/s/vm4mfkfk8z6cpoja9firy117ahb65iuu

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stemturtle on June 25, 2015, 01:21:16 PM
A new stem-turtle, Pappochelys rosinae, was discovered in Germany. Pappochelys has a diapsid skull, and at 240 MY is midway between Eunotosaurus and Odontochelys. Turtles are sister group to Sauropterygia. Thanks to amargasaurus cazaui for alerting me to this news. https://app.box.com/s/vm4mfkfk8z6cpoja9firy117ahb65iuu
A stem turtle here...a stem turtle there...everyone should have a  stem turtle !!!! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Papo should make one.  Papo Pappochelys  ;D

Guess we also finally know where turtles belong.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Stemturtle is easy to shop for...I go through the Paleowiki listings once a day to see what books, articles of papers can be gleaned. I grab anything dinosaur related and if anything says turtle in the title I post it to Mr. Stemturtle...if anyone else has a single word topic for me to watch for........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

So, sister group to Sauropterygia... That's interesting and cool!

Balaur

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if we can say that the phylogenetic placement of turtles is closed and solved. Listening back to a few episodes of the Tetrapod Zoology Podcats, Darren Naish seems to think that we've been duped by morphology. He mentions that most genetic studies seem to place turtles within archosaurs. I think it's a matter of what do we believe in more. Morphology can get us an idea of what are the defining features of an animal, but we also have to consider the possibility that they might have convergantly evolved. I'm more inclined to go with genetics right now... Oops, I should've read the paper before posting all of this. Also, does anybody know where in Diapsid's Eunotosaurus belongs too?

SBell

Quote from: Balaur on June 27, 2015, 11:16:22 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if we can say that the phylogenetic placement of turtles is closed and solved. Listening back to a few episodes of the Tetrapod Zoology Podcats, Darren Naish seems to think that we've been duped by morphology. He mentions that most genetic studies seem to place turtles within archosaurs. I think it's a matter of what do we believe in more. Morphology can get us an idea of what are the defining features of an animal, but we also have to consider the possibility that they might have convergantly evolved. I'm more inclined to go with genetics right now... Oops, I should've read the paper before posting all of this. Also, does anybody know where in Diapsid's Eunotosaurus belongs too?

You could have just modified your post!  ;)

I was listening to Hans Dieter-Sues talk about the find on the radio today, and he explained it pretty nicely; basically, turtles's skulls 'lost' the characteristic two holes of the diapsids. So they are nested in there pretty convincingly. Or as he said it, turtles are directly related to the reptiles; not part of the early stem tetrapods. He actually referred to their group as 'reptiles' because that man has been doing this a long time--and knows how to make sure an audience can understand what he's talking about.

Balaur

Quote from: SBell on June 28, 2015, 12:05:47 AM
Quote from: Balaur on June 27, 2015, 11:16:22 PM

You could have just modified your post!  ;)

I was listening to Hans Dieter-Sues talk about the find on the radio today, and he explained it pretty nicely; basically, turtles's skulls 'lost' the characteristic two holes of the diapsids. So they are nested in there pretty convincingly. Or as he said it, turtles are directly related to the reptiles; not part of the early stem tetrapods. He actually referred to their group as 'reptiles' because that man has been doing this a long time--and knows how to make sure an audience can understand what he's talking about.

Oh, I believe that turtles are diapsids, (I never believed that they were Anapsids or Parareptiles) but I'm just skeptical that they are a sister taxon to Sauropterygian's.

Halichoeres

The most common molecular result I've seen lately (last 6 or 7 years) is that turtles are sister to the crown Archosauria, but they could simultaneously be the sister to the crown Archosauria AND sister to the Sauropterygii, theoretically, if it turns out that sauropterygians are archosauromorphs. That is, they're not mutually exclusive propositions. That would make sauropterygians stem turtles, which should make stem-turtle very happy.  ^-^
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 28, 2015, 12:52:32 AM
The most common molecular result I've seen lately (last 6 or 7 years) is that turtles are sister to the crown Archosauria, but they could simultaneously be the sister to the crown Archosauria AND sister to the Sauropterygii, theoretically, if it turns out that sauropterygians are archosauromorphs. That is, they're not mutually exclusive propositions. That would make sauropterygians stem turtles, which should make stem-turtle very happy.  ^-^

This is exactly what a 2013 study found that combined molecular and morphological data. When they ran a morphological analysis constrained by the molecular data, turtles were archosauromorphs and so were sauropterygians. Some recent studies have even pulled ichthyosaurs into this group!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stemturtle

Grandfather turtle is important as a transitional fossil, so I am pleased to see responses from our members: amargasaurus cazaui, CityRaptor, Balaur, SBell, Halichoeres, and Dinoguy2. Thanks for your comments.

The cladogram in the paper that places turtles as sister group to sauropterygians is an hypothesis. We can expect to see it challenged. I like the idea of classifying sauropterygians as archosauromorphs. Stay tuned for future developments.

Plasticbeast95

If turtles are placed in the archosauromorpha, does that mean they have a secondarily anapsid condition? Perhaps caused by the same pressures that resulted in the evolution of a shell?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 05:40:20 AM
If turtles are placed in the archosauromorpha, does that mean they have a secondarily anapsid condition? Perhaps caused by the same pressures that resulted in the evolution of a shell?

The anapsid condition is almost certainly secondarily derived, as both morphological analyses of fossil taxa and molecular analyses of extant taxa routinely find turtles nested within the Diapsida at the very least. They have strange masseter attachments as a corollary, and the evolution of that condition probably did go concurrently with shell evolution.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 03, 2015, 06:10:40 AM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 05:40:20 AM

The anapsid condition is almost certainly secondarily derived, as both morphological analyses of fossil taxa and molecular analyses of extant taxa routinely find turtles nested within the Diapsida at the very least. They have strange masseter attachments as a corollary, and the evolution of that condition probably did go concurrently with shell evolution.

I see, interesting...

stemturtle

I came across a blog in Scientific Ramblings that concludes with comments on the possible ancestry of the early stem-turtles: "Eunotosaurus, Pappochelys and the crisis in reptilian phylogeny". The blogger, manasataramgini, calls the gap between the first diapsids and the split into archosauromorphs and lepidosauromorphs a period of "great obscurity." While we wait for greater resolution, I am content with the hypothesis of descent from Eunotosaurus to Pappochelys to Odontochelys.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.